Random day trip played out

JessKB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jess
So yesterday I randomly decided I was going to go on a day trip to an area east of me that I knew should have a lot of salamander diversity. I've been trying to catch a ruber for quite some time now, and I figured I'd have a good chance at this place. I was pulling off the road to look at seepages and small streams. I got a banged up foot, some broken flip-flops, and a ruined polo shirt.

I was disheartened to say the least. I had only turned up two small desmognathus spp. that I'd seen a hundred times. On another whim, I gave up the seepages and hit a trail. The first rock I flipped had two longtailed salamanders under it, they BOTH got away from me! Luckily I checked the rock again some ten minutes later and one had come back. Within 45 minutes I'd encountered three species I'd never seen before. Coming from Michigan, where salamander diversity is pretty limited, these were great finds for me. They also provided great practice with my new DSLR.

Eurycea longicauda (Longtailed Salamander)
long tailed salamander 1.jpg
long tailed salamander 3.jpg

Plethodon glutinosus glutinosus (Northern Slimy Salamander)
slimy salamander 1.jpg
slimey salamander 2.jpg

Eurycea b. bislineata (Northern Two-Lined Salamander)
two lined salamander 1.jpg
two lined salamander 2.jpg
two lined salamander 3.jpg

I had a great time and I'll definitely be back to this spot to see what else it holds!

nice pics, sounds like you had a rewarding excursion.

sounds fun! I wish we got newts and salamanders down under :/ oh well, I guess I can catch frogs?

greetings from Aus

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back