Red Bloodworms with Garlic for newts

carlcaruana

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Display Name
Carl Caruana
I need to know if I can give my fire belly newt red bloodworms with garlic ... Is it ok to feed the newt red bloodworms with garlic? Thanks

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
lol. I nominate this for "Odd Question of the Month" award...

I have no idea whether garlic is okay - I doubt it - but I am very curious as to why you want to mix it with your blood worms?

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Senad
I'am guessing not since newts are strict carnivours.

Scorpion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alexander
Garlic really overpowers the flavor of the bloodworms. If it were me, I would sprinkle the bloodworms with a bit of sage and basil and a pinch of salt!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think garlic is used in fish foods as an appetite stimulant and some believe it can kill off internal parasites and boost immunity. I'm not sure what the science is, if any, behind this.

I don't know if garlic is harmful for newts. I suspect not. Don't forget that whilst newts are carnivorous their prey will have plant material in their digestive tract so they are quite capable of processing vegetative matter, even if they can't make the most of it's nutrition.

What is the reason for the question? Have you seen a shop selling bloodworm with garlic?

obicat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Garlic can cause stomach probklems in some animals. If it was me I wouldn't risk it.

carlcaruana

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Display Name
Carl Caruana
THANKS FOR YOUR INFO! Ive been feeding my newt for like 2 weeks now ... nothing is wrong with him but now he won't eat them :( maybe he doesnt like them now :/ Ill feed him Black bloodworms and ill try with that! :)

nwmnnaturalist

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cassie
I am very suspicious of garlic supplements for non-humans. Considering all members of that particular family are toxic in some part of their structure, and that many animals suffer from the toxicity of them, I don't give my critters of any sort any product from the family.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +2
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    Where can I find a yellow western tiger
    +1
    Unlike
    Dougie: Where can I find a yellow western tiger +1