Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Remarkable Axolotl Coloration

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Forget your goldies, your coppers, your olives, and even your harlequins. Ladies and gentlemen, with permission from his keeper and photographer, allow me to introduce the most remarkably colored axolotl I've ever seen: the lovely, the charming, the amazing Dickschaedel!

(Isn't he gorgeous?)

-Eva

Attachments

• dickschaedel1.jpg
    dickschaedel1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 15,236
  • dickschaedel2.jpg
    dickschaedel2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,759

blueberlin

Reaction score
P.S.

Just so you know I'm not anking any chains, here he is as a larva.

-Eva

Attachments

• dickschaedel3.jpg
    dickschaedel3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 902

Nathan050793

Reaction score
That's really neat Eva, thanks for sharing such cool photos!:D

I remember hearing something somewhere about half and half axolotls- I think it was done in a lab though (I can't remember for the life of me)- was this natural?

blueberlin

Reaction score
Absolutely. His keeper posted the first pic because Dickschaedel was eating his way through his siblings and she was... concerned... That all worked out in the end - he has sworn off of cannibalism now and is a regular worm kinda guy - but she rewarded us with recent pics.

Dickschaedel's siblings are, obviously, diversely colored but all chose a single color pattern for their entire bodies.

-Eva

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
WOW!

He is beautiful!

I love the perfect line straight down the centre - he is amazing.

Thanks for sharing Eva :D

Cheers Jacq.

IanF

Reaction score
That would be a great party trick! Just show them the one side then while they're not looking switch it to the other side... might take some practice but I'm sure the results would be good.:p

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Parental coloration probably had little to do in this, at least, little more than is usually the case for larval coloration. Chimaerism is rare, but does happen (see the long running thread about Jake's axolotl, Pirate Gary). It's probably a case of two embryos fusing.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Both of his parents were dark (presumably wild types).

We also suggested the idea of fused embryos. I suppose we'll never know - and it doesn't really matter, does it? Nix on inner values - the main thing is that he looks so cool! :p

blueberlin

Reaction score
Truly unbelievable. Please be careful with it and breed it with various others. :)

That thought is never far away with the ever willingly breeding axolotls, huh? I don't really think, though, that the pattern is an actual genetic trait, but a fluke, ergo not reproducible.

-Eva

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. While it's VERY cool looking, it's probably not a genetically inheritable trait.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a chimera. Splice two embryos down the neural crest and combine, et voila.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!