Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamanderin' in WV...late September

matamander

Reaction score
It's a few weeks old, but this was my last herping trip of the year from late September. The weather was getting a bit cool at night and was in the low 70's during the day...about 2500' in elevation.
1. First was the Cheat Mountain Salamander (Plethodon nettingi). Found about four more of these guys, higher elevation than 2500' in a spuce habitat and all were under rocks. My boss begs to differ on the ID this one, but venter was black and costal groove count was 16/17...any opinion on this one?
2. A juvie. Northern Slimy Salamander (Plethodon glutinosus) from under a log
3. Jefferson Salamander (Ambystoma jeffersonianum) from under a dry log...a few months early as they don't come out around these parts until late Feb/early March
4. Four-toed Salamander (Hemidactylium scutatum) from under a lichen covered log. Was found belly up with it's bright white and black speckled belly
5. Cow Knob Salamander (Plethodon punctatus) one of two found. My dad found this one under a rock and thought it was a Slimy, but I thought there was a good chance of being a Cow Knob due to it's location.
6. Cow Know Salamander (Plethodon punctatus) vs a Northern Slimy Salamander (Plethodon glutinosus) found a few rocks away. Notice the minute differences.
7. A very bright red red-eft, Eastern Red-Spotted Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens viridescens) found under a log

A pretty good short trip!

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpg
    IMG_4290.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_4386.jpg
    IMG_4386.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_4520.jpg
    IMG_4520.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_4535_crop.jpg
    IMG_4535_crop.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_4561_2.jpg
    IMG_4561_2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4643.jpg
    IMG_4643.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4622_2.jpg
    IMG_4622_2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 328

Bette

Reaction score
Thank you so much for sharing! I really enjoy looking at pictures like these. Ive done a bit of herping myself over the years. You got some nice shots of those beautiful animals! Amazing creation, that Big Guy has...

Reactions: sde

matamander

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! It really means a lot. I was curious if anyone else had an ID on the P. nettingi?

Jefferson

Reaction score
Wow, that's two phenomenal posts in a row! I didn't manage to get far enough north in VA this summer to get a Cow Knob, but I got to see a Cheat Mountain this summer in WV and really enjoyed it. You might get a chuckle out of taking a gander over some of my old posts. Looks as if we have our herping preferences in common.

OLAF123

Reaction score
I went herping earlier in the year in the Williams river area of the Monongahela National Forest and didn't find nearly what you found. Next time I'm going to need to make it further east.

matamander

Reaction score
I went herping earlier in the year in the Williams river area of the Monongahela National Forest and didn't find nearly what you found. Next time I'm going to need to make it further east.

I think some of these were pure luck. A jeffersonianum in early fall?! I also wasn't expecting to find a Hemidactylium that high up in elevation either.

Jefferson

Reaction score
I once found an adult Jefferson when it was about ninety-five degrees in the middle of July in Ohio. Not to be shown up, a few Red Salamanders made their appearance in a little stream a few hours later, even though they're supposed to be in the forests in summer. Sometimes, it's just better to be lucky than good.

Aneides Aeneus

Reaction score
Great post - you saw some pretty neat species! Interestingly enough, I have found salamanders such as spotteds, marbleds, jefferson's, four-toeds, and streamsides and various random times of year when thy aren't supposed to be active. It seems like if the conditions are moist enough, they may stay active during summer and fall.

-Ananth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1