Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamanders reintroduced to Ohio waterways

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the Hellbenders are referred to as mudpuppies? It's Necturus malacosus and sometimes other Necturus species that get that common name. I think it's just sloppy research by the author of the article?
Mudpuppies are cool though, I do agree with that. :)

dac343

Reaction score
I don't think the Hellbenders are referred to as mudpuppies? It's Necturus malacosus and sometimes other Necturus species that get that common name. I think it's just sloppy research by the author of the article?
Mudpuppies are cool though, I do agree with that. :)

It's probably one of the most common things to address in Hellbender conservation and probably one of the things that makes working with the public a bit difficult (discerning whether a person is talking about an actual bender or mudpuppy instead). Almost always they are referred to as mudpuppy's and even after addressing that its a completely different species, I often still hear them called that again later. Guess old habits die hard.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!