Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra habitat in the Netherlands

I

ingo

Hello Ester,

this is really a beautiful forest, the ideal Salamandra-Habitat.
In the file, you have written:
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Ester van Strien wrote on Sunday, 05 June, 2005 - 08:18 :</font>

"The day was a cloudy one making it more difficult to take pictures inside the forest (but at least
it was dry)."
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

This is surely the reason, you did not encounter any adult Fire-Salamander so far. In the habitat close to my house, the forest looks similar; the adult salamanders are hidden well and can never be found by turning trunks or stones.
Only past ten o´clock p.m. when it is completely dark and when it has rained or is raining, I can find dozens of Salamandra s. terrestris.
This one I met by chance on a rainy day at the entrance of his burrow.
So, good luck for your further "investigations"!

Regards,
Ingo

E

ester

Thanks
happy.gif

I didn't really expect to find adults, we only managed to get to the forest at 7.20 am. I still plan to go there sometime at night. A wet night would help then. For picture taking of a habitat it's nicer if there isn't a downpour going on though
happy.gif

Humidity was close to the surface everywhere though. Only the upper leaves are dry, all others are humid.

I

ingo

Hi Ester,
My habitat - photos are also taken by day
happy.gif

Though I have heard Salamandra s. salamandra is more often found by day, when humidity is high, I can´t confirm this with the terrestris here...

Yesterday in the evening (a rainy one) at 11 p.m. I found again about 30-40 Salamanders - some of which I have never seen before, but also some "old friends"
bowl.gif

S

sergé

Hi Ester,

I know the forest and it is great. Especially at rainy night..because you can come across some adults. I have worked for a year in Maastricht and at rainy nights this was the place to spend your time. The area has been monitored for several years now and it seems the population is pretty stable, in fact the only good population in the Netherlands as far as I know.

Thanks for sharing the pictures, good you don't mention the exact location,

Sergé

R

rubén

Ester

Good pics and better information. Cool document...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1