Salamandra keepers please report in!

nicolelawton

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Nicole
I'm keeping salamandra salamandra, but in Canada it's hard to expand the amphibian collection. :( Not too many people importing/breeding out here. They are nice showy animals though, not shy at all. Make great little display pets.

Last edited by a moderator:

stokay

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Hello,
I have 1 salamander. As long as i know it is fire salamander but i do not know sub catagories. I attached some of his/her photo.

Attachments

ummi

Reaction score
Country
Germany
AW: Re: Salamandra keepers please report in!

Hello stokay,

you have a beautiful Salamandra Salamandra Salamandra. Only for strolling they love it wet,
then they come out of hiding to hunt and at the same they absorb moisture through the skin.
But there, where they live, it is dry,

Attachments

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
Ummi whats the subspecies in the 7th of your pictures?
gigliolii, high yellow terrestris, solling terrestris or other?

ummi

Reaction score
Country
Germany
AW: Re: Salamandra keepers please report in!

its all terrestris

Attachments

stokay

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Ummi, thank you very much. Do you have any idea about their genders? How can i know if mine is he or she!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Stokay, it´s not easy to tell from that picture but it seems to have a bulging cloaca and relatively strong hind limbs so i would say it´s probably male.
On a separate note, your housing doesn´t look apropriate from the pictures. The open water is a problem as is the very high humidity. Make sure to check the caresheet for this species and rearrange its enclosure to be more like a piece of woodland as well as making sure ventilation is optimal.

stokay

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Rodrigo, regarding to caresheet, they need 75/80 % humid.
And yes you are right , last night i checked my salamander is male :) now i need to find a lady for him. :)
Till yesterday as a substrade was coco husk (big pieces) , yesterday i put Torf, but inside there is a perlite so i am not sure to keep this sustrade or not!
I am planning to setup vivarium or paludarium . I didnt decide it yet. Most probably i will be buying ready ones from the market.

erik3333

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
God, I wish i could keep these. I've been fascinated by them for as long I can remember. I only have room on the attic and it trends to heat up on summerdays :(

danicc

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
dan
Hi all,
my name is Dan, I am originally from Barcelona, where we have salamandra salamandra (terrestris) but as you might know is not legal to keep spp found in the wild, even if you buy them with cites and they are a different sub spp from the ones found in the wild.
I have been living in UK for 3 years and I recently got 3 s. salamandra gallaica; they were from Serra de Grandola (Portugal). My mum is from the south of Spain, and I have seen that spp there in the wild.
I might get some more if I can find more youngsters here in UK!
Thanks all!
dan

Aplestris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am lucky to own a beautiful Salamandra. He or she is a juvenile (I think the site said CB2012) and lives in an outdoor tank and eats very well on earthworms and slugs :D.
I have a video of him/her feeding on earthworms:
Fire Salamander Feeding 2 - YouTube
I'm not sure of the sub specie (if it is one) or is it just Salamandra salamandra :confused:

benw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
sonic
Good to see a few more salamandra keepers out there!!

Devalight

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had a pair of Fire Salamanders for almost a year. I don't know the subspecies:

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
I have two juvenile CB Salamandra salamandra terrestris, but I REALLY want more, so I might be able to get some more in the spring. Its really cool to see all the Salamandra enthusiasts! There's a lot more than I thought. -Seth

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1