Sexing p hongkongensis

lims

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sam
Maybe someone can sex my P. hongkongensis. I would like a second opinions. They were sold as a sexed pair.
Here is newt 1:

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 272
  • cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 203
  • bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 173
...and newt 2:

Attachments

• nn.jpg
    nn.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC00689.JPG
    DSC00689.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 166
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 193
so nobody knows?
Even if some of the experts would hazard a guess I would be most appreciative..
I can get different photos if required, let me know what kinds of shots you need..

Unless they are in breeding condition I believe it's almost impossible to tell. Have you read: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sexing.shtml ?
Many sellers claim to have "pairs" because they sell better. Cool them down and see what happens :D. With luck it'll become obvious.

I had no idea about that artilcle, thanks

Sam, you've been around here quite a while, so it's surprising that you haven't read all the articles yet. I'd recommend it.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

The first photo looks exactly like the tail shape of my male hongkongensis. The second newt has a slimmer tail, but fatter abdomen, so it seems likely that the second is female. However, I'm notoriously inept at sexing newts, so I would bet any money on my ID. If they come into breeding condition, the male's tail should get a pale whitish stripe.

I have commenced cooling them and maybe we shall see soon, ,
I was suprised I hadnt see the article too, it goes into each species which I like, ,,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back