Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick? Axolotls strange behavior and symptoms?

CaluKanKen

Reaction score
Hello, I have two young axolotl in a 20 gallon tank, the water is kept in the low 60s F range of temperature I have a hang on back filter, and I do regular water changes of 25% after feedings and then like a 2 liter pitcher full of water the next day or day after when they use the restroom to clean the poop out when I see it. I feed them some axolotl pellets I bought off of eBay and every Monday I give them some frozen blood worms along with their food as a bit of a treat. Lately I’ve been noticing one of the lotls floating nose down, both the lotls have a little bit of noticeable tearing that is seems to have gotten noticeably better on one lotl, but much worse on the one that floats. I’ve also noticed that lately both of them have been having really organs colored runny stool, much different from what it used be. I have also noticed that thier little gill ear things have seems to have changed to a much darker color. I don’t know what I should do? Should I fridge them? I’m assuming they have some kind of bacterial infection. Should I fridge them and then empty the tank, clean everything, and let it cycle for two week before introducing them? Is two weeks too long to fridge a lotl for? Do you feed them while they are being fridged? I hope that someone can help me figure out what to do with them. I want to know what I ddI wrong that caused this to happen to them, as well? I figured I was keeping the tank pretty clean and the water tests I do come out normal for every category.
6F545D03-38B9-4E51-9C7D-388F524FEB90.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1