Silkworms?

niajetze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
carrie
type ilkworms in on ebay I found loads for sale maybe ou can get some more from there and start again if at first you dont sucseed

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ryan
Yeah I know where to buy them but, I don't know I have a lot on my hands right now so I may later on this year.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
Did you raise the silkies on chow or on leaves? Some of those problems could be due to chow if you are using it. If you are using leaves, then make sure they are always fresh etc. Also, get a good strain of silkworms. I don't remember any casualties from my cocoons and I hatched around 20(I did get a very tiny female who laid maybe 40 eggs total but that was probably due to feeding or odd genetics).

I know of some people who may have extra eggs. Specifically, look up the Catherders mailing list. I need to hatch mine after killing the early summer batch.

Also, in the future, any silkmoths that emerge without mates can be stuck in the refridgerator to prolong lifespan by slowing down metabolism.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ryan
They were fed on chow. I never expected to get silkworms in the first place, it was a gift. I had no desire to use leaves so I stuck to the chow. I know pretty well about raising caterpillars, raising saturniid moths is probably more of a hobby to me then caudates. So I might just stay away from silkworms. Thanks for the help though.:D

I currently have 14 large (5-6inch) caterpillars called Citheronia regalis so I've got my hands full for caterpillars at the moment.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
Awesome on the regalis! I wish we had those over here in Cali. I've raised polyphemus myself..they refused to breed w eachother after the second generation and I was unable to call in any wild males despite them supposedly being common here. They are a LOT of work if you do not have the proper host tree in your yard...I got quite a few weird looks on the way home with a streamer of oak branches coming out of a short pocket.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ryan
Nice to hear there are more saturniid enthusiasts here. I've raised polys too, never to adulthood before. I find them to be picky eaters. Im feeding the devils hickory which is a lot of work to get but its worth it.:cool: Tell me about those weird looks, Its not everyday you have a neighbor come to your house asking to feed a bunch of BIG caterpillars the leaves in their yard.:D

Oh yeah, I now have 5 prepupal larvae and 9 others that are still feeding, no pupae yet though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! We had our first unexpected hot day and I was an idiot and forgot to put on the fan for my axolotl tank. When I came to feed her at around 7, I noticed the tank was 75 degrees!! It has never been this warm, it’s always a stable 67ish without a fan. It was only this warm for today (yesterday it was normal temps), and I immeditately got the fan on when I saw. It is down to 69 degrees now. Is my axie going to be ok with the increase in temperature for a day?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Oh that’s in Fahrenheit by the way, I think in Celsius it almost got up to 24 c if I’m not mistaken
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Axie is showing no signs of stress whatsoever
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    A short temp spike is unlikely to cause any long term probs
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • gemdimps:
    Hi 👋🏻 I am desperately seeking cycling advice
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    NewtPoot has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RCWaterPets has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Carly1502:
    Hi guys, I have a dwarf axolotl. Got him/her in February and since it’s grown to around 4.5 inches it has constantly been constipated. Having to fridge the poor thing every few weeks. Has anyone else got a dwarf and had these problems?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    my cousin has a dwarf, he thankfully doesn’t have such problems. good luck though :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Hey guys, one of my axolotls has developed some fungus on one of her gills, I've started salt baths, but do salt baths need to be done in the fridge, some people said I should have her in the fridge permanently during the process, even when not in the salt bath, is this true? As some people said its unnecessary as long as the tank is below 20°c which it is. Also do I need to get them both out the tank and clean it out?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nagato:
    Does anybody know where I can find Triturus karelinii?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.