Silkworms?

type ilkworms in on ebay I found loads for sale maybe ou can get some more from there and start again if at first you dont sucseed

Yeah I know where to buy them but, I don't know I have a lot on my hands right now so I may later on this year.

Did you raise the silkies on chow or on leaves? Some of those problems could be due to chow if you are using it. If you are using leaves, then make sure they are always fresh etc. Also, get a good strain of silkworms. I don't remember any casualties from my cocoons and I hatched around 20(I did get a very tiny female who laid maybe 40 eggs total but that was probably due to feeding or odd genetics).

I know of some people who may have extra eggs. Specifically, look up the Catherders mailing list. I need to hatch mine after killing the early summer batch.

Also, in the future, any silkmoths that emerge without mates can be stuck in the refridgerator to prolong lifespan by slowing down metabolism.

They were fed on chow. I never expected to get silkworms in the first place, it was a gift. I had no desire to use leaves so I stuck to the chow. I know pretty well about raising caterpillars, raising saturniid moths is probably more of a hobby to me then caudates. So I might just stay away from silkworms. Thanks for the help though.:D

I currently have 14 large (5-6inch) caterpillars called Citheronia regalis so I've got my hands full for caterpillars at the moment.

Awesome on the regalis! I wish we had those over here in Cali. I've raised polyphemus myself..they refused to breed w eachother after the second generation and I was unable to call in any wild males despite them supposedly being common here. They are a LOT of work if you do not have the proper host tree in your yard...I got quite a few weird looks on the way home with a streamer of oak branches coming out of a short pocket.

Nice to hear there are more saturniid enthusiasts here. I've raised polys too, never to adulthood before. I find them to be picky eaters. Im feeding the devils hickory which is a lot of work to get but its worth it.:cool: Tell me about those weird looks, Its not everyday you have a neighbor come to your house asking to feed a bunch of BIG caterpillars the leaves in their yard.:D

Oh yeah, I now have 5 prepupal larvae and 9 others that are still feeding, no pupae yet though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back