Siren identification, feeding

Hi Sarah,

I use Hikari-brand bloodworm. Here in Japan there are three types generally available:

* the cheapest type (one solid block of bloodworm) in which the worms are of poor quality (thin, and they often float) and they are of questionable cleanliness

* the standard type in which the worms are in cubes that have been sterilized

* the superior Hikari type (available in the U.S. too) in which the worms are of the best quality, sink, are better sterilized and are fortified with vitamins

80249.jpg
80250.jpg

The block will float of course until it starts to melt, but the individual worms will all fall to the bottom of the tank.

(Message edited by TJ on March 17, 2007)

Hi Sarah,

We too use Hikari bloodworms just like the picture Tim posted. You can find them at Petsmart and they usually run about $12.

Ryan, so far we've had no run in's or close calls. The bowfront is like a 15 or 20 gallon... and it's only filled like 3 or 4 gallons I guess... Lemme get you some pictures.

Jennifer.

Only 3 or 4 gallons of water for 1 siren and 1 amphiuma? Sounds like pretty close quarters. I would really like some pictures.
happy.gif

This is the tank from the front.
IMG_8826_1_1_1.jpg

Here's some of the Amphiuma eating:

IMG_8833_1_1.jpg

IMG_8838_1_1.jpg

IMG_8834_1_1.jpg

IMG_8839_1_1.jpg

The Siren

IMG_8828_1_1.jpg

A view of them both (They weren't cooperating and were hanging out on opposite sides of the tank)

IMG_8857_1_1.jpg

Now this was intresting to watch... One of the worms escaped and buried itself under the rocks... the siren smelled it and wanted it. Watch what he did to the plant.

IMG_8860_1_1.jpg

IMG_8861_1_1.jpg

IMG_8862_1_1.jpg

IMG_8863_1_1.jpg

IMG_8866_1_1.jpg

IMG_8868_1_1.jpg

IMG_8867_1_1.jpg

Well these were the best I could get right now. Usually they are both out front hanging out with each other... Enjoy!

BTW Sarah... LOL! You make me laugh... Your lucky!!! It's been almost a month since you've been to Walmart! I am only shopping for 2 people but still somehow always end up needing to be there like 2 times a week. If you're waiting on the toilet paper... try to go to the bathroom more, lol... Just kidding.

Jennifer

(Message edited by Amphiuma_Guy on March 17, 2007)

Thats a neat feeding sequence of the siren. I still think thats not enough space for a siren and an amphiuma. My mudpuppy (about 9 inches long) has an entire 20 gallon to its self and its filled with about 15-17 gallons of water. I still feel like its not enough for the mudpuppy.

Lane, how long is the siren and amphiuma? I'm guessing 10-12inches? How long have they been in there together? Is there any hiding places that I can't see? I would recommend one or two more.

(Message edited by i_love_necturus on March 17, 2007)

(Message edited by i_love_necturus on March 17, 2007)

Here is a picture of her tank Patricia, so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. You can see her under the rocks if you look close. Her name is Bart if you don't already know.

80257.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on March 18, 2007)

OK they both came out for some hunting. Here are a few more pictures of the happy tank mates.

IMG_8873_1_1.jpg

IMG_8888_1_1.jpg

IMG_8892_1_1.jpg

IMG_8920_1_1.jpg

IMG_8921_1_1.jpg

IMG_8924_1_1.jpg

IMG_8926_1_1.jpg

IMG_8929_1_1.jpg

Ya, I agree it's not big enough. Infact, I don't think any of the amphiuma's we have are in big enough tanks. Let me give you the run down.

We have the siren and the amphiuma together as you've seen. Your are right about their sizes.

Then we have 2 probably 18 - 20 inch amphiumas in a 55 long.

We have 2 probably 25 - 30 inch amphiumas in a wavefront 125 gallon.

We have 2 probably 55 - 75 gallon ponds with 2 each also around 25-30 inch amphiumas in each.

Finally we have a 180 gallon with 2 giant amphiuma's that are probably 30 - 36 inches and eat 1 - 2 adult F/T mice at a time when fed.

I posted their tank a while back, but I'll post a newer photo.

IMG_8931_1_1.jpg

You can see the 2nd one back there hiding beyond the big one.

IMG_8932_1_1.jpg

Here I just used the cell phone for a size reference.

IMG_8935_1_1.jpg

It's hard to know what is "enough" for these guys Ryan. It sucks really, because I want them to be as happy as they can be. If you know what I mean. Obviously nothing beats the wide open spaces of the wild... As I've mentioned in the past our main goal is to breed these guys...

We've had the siren and amphiuma together for about 6 months and both have grown A LOT in that time so it's almost time for them to move into a larger tank.

Wow I'm surprised that they have lasted that long. As you can see in my tank the mudpuppy seems pretty happy there but your right nothing beats the wild.

Here is a pic of Bart that i snapped with my phone last week.
80260.jpg

I don't mean to get off subject but it only feels appropriate.

Bart looks cool. I've never seen a necturus in person. I don't know all that much about them. Lane knows quite a bit about them though. How big will he get? Sorry I didn't respond sooner... We had to go get bunny traps because some of our breeder/feeder bunnys escaped. We had 7 this morning in the back yard... Now we've only got 2 left to catch.
violent.gif

Jennifer

The record for a necturus is 19 inches. She will probably only get 12-15 inches though.

lol, yes, Jennifer, it's been a while >_< I bought a BIG pack of toilet paper last time. It seems that I'm always changing the toilet paper, however, so I don't know why I'm not out yet... As for food, I usually get lazy and go to the closer Publix or Walgreens. I'll go to Walmart if I need toiletpaper or if my friends need to go, it's farther away and I don't like driving, lol.

Nice pictures guys!! That's amazing that the siren and amphiuma just hang out together like that.

The bloodworms I have are san fransisco bay brand. They are in blocks. I have to go to the petstore today though, out of rat food, so I'll look for hikari.

Just try to get those nightcrawlers soon
wink.gif

Jennifer & Lane, since you are thinking of moving these guys to a larger tank, I would suggest separate tanks. I know you've had them together for a while, but both of these species are known for inflicting bites on tankmates. I'm concerned that as they grow older, their dispositions could become less amicable. A lot of juvenile animals are sweet and cuddley, but change when they mature.

Holy... I guess I didn't use this brand of bloodworm the first time, I don't know what I WAS using, but this san fransisco bay brand, they look redder, maybe he can smell them better? I put in a cube, he searched it out and IMEDIATELY ripped into it!! I just tried to get a video of it, I'll post it when I can. Wow, never seen him THIS excited about food!! It makes me happy.

That's really good news, Sarah
biggrin.gif

Here's a photo of my siren, snapped just after the cube sank in the corner and she was moving in to eat it:

80351.jpg

And a close-up of Hikari bloodworm being eaten by a Cynops ensicauda:

80352.jpg

(newt's thinness attributable to internal parasites

(Message edited by tj on March 19, 2007)

That siren looks great Tim! What do you keep your tanks temp at? Mine (mudpuppy) is usually 58-60.5 F. Do you think I could feed my mudpuppy frozen bloodworms? I want to give her something other than nightcrawlers.

(Message edited by i_love_necturus on March 19, 2007)

Here is a better more recent photo of the pup.

80396.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on March 30, 2007)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back