Siren identification, feeding

Yes, I ran out of toilet paper (I buy 24 packs) so by now you must have too! Did you get the worms?? Nice last picture of your pup Ryan, it looks really cool!

Thanks Lane, yeah Sarah did you get the worms? I am anxious to find out how your siren does with them.

lmao, no, I still didn't get the worms. BUT!! I got a video from yesterday's feeding. And yes, I need to go to walmart this weekend, I'm down to two rolls of toilet paper ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYqD37oMaE

The camera keeps going out of focus, pretty annoying... And sorry for the background noise, it's my tv.

Oh, also, I think I counted 31 or 32 costal grooves. I was pretty sure it was a lesser siren before, that pretty much confirms it, right? Greaters have more than 36, is that correct?

Thats right Sarah, you got a lesser.

Wow I've seen this guys videos of his sirens before but I've never seen this one!! I didn't know it ever happened in captivity! Its to bad hey weren't fertilized.

I heard of it once before, but maybe it was this same person, I never saw a video, just pictures. The eggs were unfertilized though. Pretty cool =P

Also, I took more siren pics, and a new shrimp has eggs, haha. I'd like to direct you to this lj entry, cause I'm feeling lazy and don't want to copy and paste a bunch of links...
http://chaosrah.livejournal.com/333040.html

Great pictures Sarah I love sirens they are my faves (next to necturus)!

Uhhh, ok, soooo.. I just got back from Wal-Mart. I found that they had night crawlers in the bait section. So I got two 24 tubs of them... And well, they are HUGE. I think the first one I pulled out was almost as long as the siren was... Please don't tell me I have to cut them in half.. I'm squemish about hurting live organisms.... What happens if they are too big for him to eat?? Oh god.. I'm gonna have to cut them, aren't I.. I need to find someone who can do it for me... Ew ew ew... I don't have a problem holding/touching them, but please, I do NOT want to cut them!!! Agh...

Lol... Well, they have smaller worms there too... But we know you won't be back to walmart for a year or so (HAHAHAHAH, just kidding) I think we get the panfish worms... Maybe we should have mentioned that since I guess not everyone knows about worms.

Ok, just try this, take one of the smaller giant night crawlers and just offer it to the siren. See what happens. Ours will happily take a huge nightcrawler and of course it takes him a little while to get it all down, but we've not seen adverse effects. I don't have many suggestions about how you can cut em up and feel comfortable doing it if you're not. I just rip em right in half if I need to. I've always been the most tom-boyish girl out there... Just try one, see what happens.

Jennifer

Well, it won't choke, will it? I just didn't know what it would do if it was too big. They didn't have different sizes that I could tell. There were white tubs and blue tubs. The lady there didn't know the difference, so I got one of each... That's all they had. Soooo...

No your siren won't choke, if it can't eat it it will spit it out. I fee my mudpuppy nightcrawlers that are about as long as she is.

Here is are pictures of the kind I feed her.

81214.jpg

81215.jpg

Lol, well, that's what I bought. It says Canadian Crawlers, white tub. The other tub is blue with air holes, for some reason. My tiger salamander can eat these too, right?

Yup, did you try to feed your siren the worms yet? I just fed my mudpuppy a big worm a few minutes ago...lol, I offered another but she seems to only eat one each feeding (every third day)

Holy <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>. Ok, guys, read my latest entry right here about this. I just watched my siren DEATH ROLL!!! (Like a crocodile, hahahaha)

http://chaosrah.livejournal.com/334791.html

Aww, I went back to watch it eat. Apparently it hasn't been able to SWALLOW any of it yet. A chunk of the worm is hanging on by a thread, and the siren looks as if it has no intentions on giving up on this meal. Dragging it around in it's mouth, and such...

Ok, he's on the last little bit now, haha. The part that was almost torn off is now seeping blood.. The fish and ghost shrimp are trying to get in on it, but the siren is having none of that! How often should I feed the siren these, anyway?

Thats great Sarah I knew your siren would take the nightcrawler! I would say one every third day, thats what I do with my mudpuppy, whenever I offer a second nightcrawler she just turns away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back