Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slime coat shedding and possibly fill fungus

Jaeger

Reaction score
IMG_7449.jpeg

ignore the awkward position he was just swimming

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Wow, he is REALLY skinny. I would look into alternative food options that coincide with what you can get in Australia. I know this sounds harsh, but quite frankly, if you can't get the appropriate worms (which are typically the primary food source for them, at least in captivity) in your area, you may want to consider if rehoming would be a better option for the little guy. Hope he gets better!!

Jaeger

Reaction score
Wow, he is REALLY skinny. I would look into alternative food options that coincide with what you can get in Australia. I know this sounds harsh, but quite frankly, if you can't get the appropriate worms (which are typically the primary food source for them, at least in captivity) in your area, you may want to consider if rehoming would be a better option for the little guy. Hope he gets better!!
how could i rehome him if we cant get the proper worms? people in this area wouldnt be able too aswell. His diet rn consists of bloodworms (as treats) hikari carnivourous pellets (VERY good for them) and live blackworms.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Good to hear that you do have good alternative food sources! If he's currently not interested/able to eat these at the moment though, you'll likely have to expand it somehow. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about what kinds of resources you might have access to in Australia, so I can't really suggest any specific alternatives. As for rehoming (once he's eating again), you'd probably have to look outside the country. Out of curiosity, where/how did you get him? Is there a possibility of contacting whoever you got him from or was it more of a rescue situation?

Jaeger

Reaction score
Good to hear that you do have good alternative food sources! If he's currently not interested/able to eat these at the moment though, you'll likely have to expand it somehow. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about what kinds of resources you might have access to in Australia, so I can't really suggest any specific alternatives. As for rehoming (once he's eating again), you'd probably have to look outside the country. Out of curiosity, where/how did you get him? Is there a possibility of contacting whoever you got him from or was it more of a rescue situation?
I got him at a local breeder, I already emailed them they cant take him back. And i love him too much, i dont think ill be able to rehome him but if i still cant get him to eat i will do whats best for him. Im about to move him back to his 30 gallon tank, i removed the sand and now the ammonia is 0 and perfect water conditions, hopefully a stable temperature and water conditions will get him back to normal. He has also stopped shedding and i put a indian almond leave in his tank.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I got him at a local breeder, I already emailed them they cant take him back. And i love him too much, i dont think ill be able to rehome him but if i still cant get him to eat i will do whats best for him. Im about to move him back to his 30 gallon tank, i removed the sand and now the ammonia is 0 and perfect water conditions, hopefully a stable temperature and water conditions will get him back to normal. He has also stopped shedding and i put a indian almond leave in his tank.
i’d start feeding him like a lot. like ad much as he can eat

Jaeger

Reaction score
i’d start feeding him like a lot. like ad much as he can eat
i just walked in to check on him and he had vomited out blood worms and the pellet, so he did eat it and keep it there for a few days and spat it out, hopefully now hes in his tank with stable conditions good oxygen flow he'll eat tommorow. wish us luck!

faebugz

Reaction score
i just walked in to check on him and he had vomited out blood worms and the pellet, so he did eat it and keep it there for a few days and spat it out, hopefully now hes in his tank with stable conditions good oxygen flow he'll eat tommorow. wish us luck!
Your axolotl is dangerously thin, probably under weight to begin with. Scary thin! Please get him some proper food. Repashy worked really well for the one I rescued. He might be too thin to keep anything rich down

Also put him in the fridge!! It is very good for them research on this website. Might save his life. It will slow his metabolism too

Jaeger

Reaction score
Please update us with a happy ending 😔
He was doing well this morning, went out to the beach, came back and the fungus had grown completely back stronger, found him dead :( i also think my other axolotl who was 6 yrs old he was in the tank dead with him and it seemed for a awhile so i think he gave him a parasite too or something :(

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
He was doing well this morning, went out to the beach, came back and the fungus had grown completely back stronger, found him dead :( i also think my other axolotl who was 6 yrs old he was in the tank dead with him and it seemed for a awhile so i think he gave him a parasite too or something :(
So sorry to hear

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1