Smoky Mountains

I did some salamandering in the Smokies in 2009 and 2010, it is my dearest wish to return. My first sally trip was in March of '08 when I really didn't know what I was doing at 11. I was looking for sallies in the same streams that otters inhabited, and searching in vain for vernal pools. In 2009, I returned on July 4th, armed with research about Desmognathus. My first sally was a Spotted Dusky in a springhead. It was 7:00 p.m., and the Dusky's skin shimmered in the dying sunlight. I'll never forget my elation and my father's utter shock at the sight of the wriggling dusky. I found a Red-Cheeked on one of the high mountaintops the next day in a spruce-fir forest of 65 degrees. I hate to get all sentimental, but the sight of the mountains behind that still gets me choked up when I think about it. I tell anyone who will listen that salamandering is like feeling heaven for 10 or 20 minutes at a time, but the scenery and majesty of GSMNP make it heaven two or three days at a time. Listen to Smokey Mtn. Smoke by the Osborne Brothers, think of your first Appalachian sally, the bliss you were in that day, and your mood will get a whole lot better. I am happy that others are able to experience Appalachia's spruce-fir and rushing streams first hand, as I hope even my great grandchildren will be able to do.

I'm not sure which would be a better find, the hellbender or Jordan's..

P. jordani are incredibly common at the right elevation. In most places where I've searched, it's hard to flip a big log without finding one.

GSMNP is indeed heaven. Headed there in two weeks! Can you guys find them in the winter there?

Steve, I herped GSMNP in the beginning of March, in the mid to upper 30's, snow and rain. Found TONS!

I hope they are that active when it is not breeding season. I will add pics to my album if I find some.

Temps upper 50's in the day, sub-freezing at night. I only found 5. Only have pictures of two. :( Not sure what the deal is. I was along a nice river the entire time. I will have to make it a point to go down during mating season next spring.

I think I may order a dip net for the semi-aquatic ones.. They are so fast!! I never get pics of them.

Temps upper 50's in the day, sub-freezing at night. I only found 5. Only have pictures of two. :( Not sure what the deal is. I was along a nice river the entire time. I will have to make it a point to go down during mating season next spring.

I think I may order a dip net for the semi-aquatic ones.. They are so fast!! I never get pics of them.

Sorry to hear you didn’t have much luck, what species did you find? They are very fast little critters. I was very lucky as it rained every night I was there pretty much, so found a lot at night crossing the roads.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back