Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Smoky Mountains

Jefferson

Reaction score
I did some salamandering in the Smokies in 2009 and 2010, it is my dearest wish to return. My first sally trip was in March of '08 when I really didn't know what I was doing at 11. I was looking for sallies in the same streams that otters inhabited, and searching in vain for vernal pools. In 2009, I returned on July 4th, armed with research about Desmognathus. My first sally was a Spotted Dusky in a springhead. It was 7:00 p.m., and the Dusky's skin shimmered in the dying sunlight. I'll never forget my elation and my father's utter shock at the sight of the wriggling dusky. I found a Red-Cheeked on one of the high mountaintops the next day in a spruce-fir forest of 65 degrees. I hate to get all sentimental, but the sight of the mountains behind that still gets me choked up when I think about it. I tell anyone who will listen that salamandering is like feeling heaven for 10 or 20 minutes at a time, but the scenery and majesty of GSMNP make it heaven two or three days at a time. Listen to Smokey Mtn. Smoke by the Osborne Brothers, think of your first Appalachian sally, the bliss you were in that day, and your mood will get a whole lot better. I am happy that others are able to experience Appalachia's spruce-fir and rushing streams first hand, as I hope even my great grandchildren will be able to do.

Todd Pierson

Reaction score
I'm not sure which would be a better find, the hellbender or Jordan's..

P. jordani are incredibly common at the right elevation. In most places where I've searched, it's hard to flip a big log without finding one.

Steve B

Reaction score
GSMNP is indeed heaven. Headed there in two weeks! Can you guys find them in the winter there?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Steve, I herped GSMNP in the beginning of March, in the mid to upper 30's, snow and rain. Found TONS!

Steve B

Reaction score
I hope they are that active when it is not breeding season. I will add pics to my album if I find some.

Steve B

Reaction score
Temps upper 50's in the day, sub-freezing at night. I only found 5. Only have pictures of two. :( Not sure what the deal is. I was along a nice river the entire time. I will have to make it a point to go down during mating season next spring.

I think I may order a dip net for the semi-aquatic ones.. They are so fast!! I never get pics of them.

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Temps upper 50's in the day, sub-freezing at night. I only found 5. Only have pictures of two. :( Not sure what the deal is. I was along a nice river the entire time. I will have to make it a point to go down during mating season next spring.

I think I may order a dip net for the semi-aquatic ones.. They are so fast!! I never get pics of them.

Sorry to hear you didn’t have much luck, what species did you find? They are very fast little critters. I was very lucky as it rained every night I was there pretty much, so found a lot at night crossing the roads.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1