Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange parasites in tank

Ranypizzy

Reaction score
I used to put sand and fake drift wood with some rocks and shells in my tank. Last month there appeared some strange insects, also my axolotl has symptom of amoniac burn. I cleaned the tank and removed the fake wood and sands. Now my tank is “super” clean because I change 30% water every one or two days. However, I found one insect appeared last week. It hanged on the glass. It’s very small and transparent, round shape with legs around. I did some searching, it might be kind of argulus. But I’m not sure it is the same because it’s too small for my vision. My phone camera couldn’t capture it.
Some people said it’s very easy to have these parasites in a fish tank and suggested using different kinds of medicines. I just don’t know which I can use because I’m not sure what kind of parasite it is.These 3 days, I put 2 drops of Bensol that I currently have in the tank every time I do water change.
Today I don’t see any parasite . Anyone has any idea about this? Did the parasite just pop up and die itself?
Many thanks for your advices.
04A5E3BA-92C7-4F45-A95E-2343B5FE772E.jpeg
FB6F5D3D-B2E6-4F89-910F-A8031A21BDD7.jpeg
90536B88-5EA8-47DC-AFE3-EAB6A268C3A9.jpeg
C5E06447-1DE5-4AB6-8031-891CF19C1B43.jpeg

Attachments

• BC39B161-5A21-4CCB-A978-1775B33BBFEE.jpeg
    BC39B161-5A21-4CCB-A978-1775B33BBFEE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 178
  • DCCE9BF9-C3D7-4602-AB04-E604812AA8F0.jpeg
    DCCE9BF9-C3D7-4602-AB04-E604812AA8F0.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 139
  • 65E1CC6A-DF63-493A-BE0F-04EAFCDFF95D.jpeg
    65E1CC6A-DF63-493A-BE0F-04EAFCDFF95D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 250
  • 1CD2A5B6-D3DF-4CE0-BD3A-5B041580B7C2.jpeg
    1CD2A5B6-D3DF-4CE0-BD3A-5B041580B7C2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 176

Ranypizzy

Reaction score
I caught one parasite. It’s laying on the tank bottom. It is very sticky and has a transparent hard shell on top like turtle but without cover at the bottom. Hope someone can recognize what it is. I put it next to a toothpick for measure.
3F768E7E-87AA-4865-92D5-2A2D4B3CC2BC.jpeg
FAA7EC5C-C9FB-4F95-8EAB-6D28CF449ECA.jpeg

Last edited:

Whatachief

Reaction score
I used to put sand and fake drift wood with some rocks and shells in my tank. Last month there appeared some strange insects, also my axolotl has symptom of amoniac burn. I cleaned the tank and removed the fake wood and sands. Now my tank is “super” clean because I change 30% water every one or two days. However, I found one insect appeared last week. It hanged on the glass. It’s very small and transparent, round shape with legs around. I did some searching, it might be kind of argulus. But I’m not sure it is the same because it’s too small for my vision. My phone camera couldn’t capture it.
Some people said it’s very easy to have these parasites in a fish tank and suggested using different kinds of medicines. I just don’t know which I can use because I’m not sure what kind of parasite it is.These 3 days, I put 2 drops of Bensol that I currently have in the tank every time I do water change.
Today I don’t see any parasite . Anyone has any idea about this? Did the parasite just pop up and die itself?
Many thanks for your advices.View attachment 85702View attachment 85703View attachment 85704View attachment 85705
I caught one parasite. It’s laying on the tank bottom. It is very sticky and has a transparent hard shell on top like turtle but without cover at the bottom. Hope someone can recognize what it is. I put it next to a toothpick for measure.
View attachment 85710View attachment 85711
no idea what that is, but I would be careful about any of the products you were thinking of using. My thought would be to give the tank a scrubbing with non-iodine salt and rinse super well with water then set them back in tank. I have a tiger salamander who is 30 years old - I know it’s different than your guys.. but they are all sensitive to any products.

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Yeah, I would be VERY careful about adding any chemicals. Give it time for others to see this and hopefully someone will know what you're dealing with. I wonder if it's an exclusive creature to your area of the Pacific. Are you by the coast or more inland? Oh wait, are they some weird thing from the Mekong? I hear there are all sorts of weird creatures there.

And if your axolotls look good, which the photos, they look perfect to me, their water quality may be perfect for them but not for whatever parasite gave you the issue. Do you use any aquarium salt at all with your axolotls? The creature you're dealing with may not be able to tolerate salt at all, as an example. Since axolotls can regenerate their parts, especially from injuries, if the parasites bit them, I'm sure their wounds will heal up but I am very furious as to what that creature is. Could it be a snail or crustacean?

Murk

Reaction score
How sure are you it's even a parasite?

If you saw legs, I guess it could indeed be argulus, but those wouldn't normally be hanging around on the glass or on the substrate.

Looking at the picture and where you found it, it looks mostly like a common kind of freshwater limpet. Which would not be a parasite, and rather harmless.
Could you take a close look at the axolotls: do you see any of the "parasites" on the axolotl?

Last edited:

Ranypizzy

Reaction score
@Murk no I don’t see any “parasite” on the axolotls, though it’s hard to check on the black axi because it’s too black~~But the white axi is clean.
@EasternRomioi3 oh I haven’t heard about aquarium salt before. Should I put them into the tank for preventing strange creatures? I live more inland so nothing outside can reach my tank, except that the tap water quality is bad (I hope not!!)
@Whatachief, I have this big salt, non iodine, shall they work?

11571D61-23F5-4C76-93C4-EDF161170623.jpeg

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
@Ranypizzy

I do not know about that salt, I would be VERY careful, I'd wait to see if anyone else is familiar with it and able to give you advice on it before you use it. And I second what Murk said, do you actually see any of those creatures, those things, on your axolotls? If you have to tub them and get a closer look, I recommend it. When I check my girl's gills, I tub her because I can get much closer.

Be VERY careful with that salt. I hear if it is not the exact aquarium salt, it can kill axolotls. So please, don't use it without anyone giving you a clearer way to do so. "Scrubbing with aquarium salt" to me, sounds like putting the axolotls in a tub, taking the tank, filling it up with some tap water, adding a decent amount of aquarium salt, taking a fresh, clean sponge, and rubbing down the insides of the tank. Then you want to rinse it off real good, no salt at all in the tank on the glass, then get your fresh water for your axolotls put it, put your filter back, then wait like a half hour, add your axolotls.

Again, please wait to see if anyone else can comment further on that.

EllieWind

Reaction score
Like Murk said, it looks like a harmless freshwater limpet to me. Lots of little bugs and things tend to show up in aquariums, but the majority of them are naturally occurring and completely harmless and can actually be a sign that you have a healthy little ecosystem going on. I wouldn't worry unless you see worms or bugs on your axolotls.
There's a nice little info page about the critters that can show up in your tank here: Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Invaders: Algae, Snails, Worms and Other Critters

Ranypizzy

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much! The page was really helpful. My axolotls are clean and I haven't seen any strange "snail" for a few days. It's amazing that they can pop up from nowhere ^^

Whatachief

Reaction score
@Murk no I don’t see any “parasite” on the axolotls, though it’s hard to check on the black axi because it’s too black~~But the white axi is clean.
@EasternRomioi3 oh I haven’t heard about aquarium salt before. Should I put them into the tank for preventing strange creatures? I live more inland so nothing outside can reach my tank, except that the tap water quality is bad (I hope not!!)
@Whatachief, I have this big salt, non iodine, shall they work?

I use the salt ONLY to scrub, clean a tank, and RINSE off fully with clean water. Then set tank back up. Axolotis should not be with the salt. At this point if you don’t see parasites don’t do it. They look healthy.
View attachment 85719

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!