T. Carnifex Breeding Project

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just modified my carnifex inclosure to better suit their breeding needs. Hoping they will give me some eggs this year! Thank you to everyone who's contributed their wealth of knowledge to the forums as they have been quite helpful.

I am hoping to post pictures as I have updates, these photos were taken about 3 weeks ago, going to take another set next week.

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sorry for the delay/ lack of pics. These are from a few months ago as changes were starting. The first two pics are babies born this year that are maturing at around 8-9 months.

Here are some recent pictures. I removed the land portion of their tank. I cooled them at around 10-15 degrees for about 1-1.5 months so far. They were cooled in their regular tank, aquatically. I just left the window open a crack to do this. I also included a pic of their home.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Some of the pictures from the previous post didn't upload/ I didn't realize you could add more than 3 (woops). Here are some more pictures as well as a picture of their home.

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you! They seem quite happy in there. I presume probably still at least a month, maybe closer to two for eggs. I will try to post more frequent updates.

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The males are looking good. Some of them are under a year old and almost fully crested. I have about a 50/50 split male to female. Some of my females are under a year old and though the males seem ready I'm not sure if the females will be (I know they can take a little longer to mature). They are adult size so hopefully they pull through. These guys have been cooling for about two months now.

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Does anyone know if the female carnifex crest like the female marms do?

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I didn't receive any locality information. The hobby is a lot more limited here, it is a luxury to have that kind of info/have the choice lol.

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Stil waiting for the males to crest but saw some tail fanning yesterday. Does anyone have any tips for stimulating breeding? Would an increase in lighting help at all? The temperature has been rising since it's gotten a bit warmer out, the tank is around 15C

Attachments

otolith

Reaction score
Country
United States
Judging by the crests on the males I'd say you already stimulated breeding. Its probably just a matter of time at this point. I notice egg deposition usually happens at 15-18C for my Triturus sp groups.

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I increased the lighting a little bit, the room takes care of itself temperature-wise based on the weather/house temps, right now I think it is about 15 degrees but has been below that up until the last 2 weeks. Hopefully that will be enough, thanks for your input!

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Found the first few eggs this week. Hoping they are viable, should know in a few days. A couple have gone fuzzy, not sure if it is just because they are the first few and also the first time this female has laid. Only seen about 8 eggs so far, hoping there will be more to come. A few photo updates as well.

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
These guys took me for a bit of a ride. The first female to lay laid duds, and all I got were duds for the following 1-2 months. This week I noticed some of the eggs developing as well as a few stray larvae in the parent tank, so alas some good eggs! I was able to get a few pics of the larvae, and some pics of the adults between my last post and now. The males have lost about 80% of their crests so I think things have concluded for this year, just awaiting anymore good eggs to wrap things up.

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The carnifex seem to grow a little faster than the marms. This is the same little dude from before with some fresh new legs!

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I love looking at people's pics on here, so I take lots myself! Here are some pictures of the big ones, they started developing color. I also cleaned the parent tank a little to remove plants covered with duds that weren't looking too good.

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
    AnimeDan: Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as... +1