T. Yangi cooling and breeding.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I'm getting old, I had to take off my glasses and put the screen right up to my face! But I saw them, they look great!!

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've merged both your posts about your success together so all the information is more easily found.
Many congratulations and hoping these eggs are fertile
Thank you ??!

I have been speaking with people on facebook just thought I would post it here because on facebook you have to read things from present to past on the timeline. The eggs seem to be good, there were a lot that came out ruptured or deformed possibly because it is the first time laying. I have the eggs set up in a bunch of different ways based on articles I have read on here by a number of people (mostly those mentioned). Also in different rooms of my house as not to put all theoretical and figurative eggs in one basket.

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I guess I'm getting old, I had to take off my glasses and put the screen right up to my face! But I saw them, they look great!!
Here are some clearer pics! You can see some of the eggs developing, almost all of them were laid on land on or under the moss that is by the water.

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Saw the male dropping spermatores today as well as a bit of courtship. They courted at the waters edge where the water is maybe a cm deep, it was interesting. The male also dropped the spermatores in the shallow water so they stick out like icicles. The temperature was about 15 degrees (it's cold here, -9 outside)

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Apologies, I have been busy adulting. The larvae have been doing well. The oldest are about 1.4 to 2 months old here are some pics of their progress.

The first couple pics are from the first few weeks up until this week.

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Pics didn't post lol, but I will add some more from this week. The first of the bunch hatched around march 15-16, so they are almost 2 months old. They have really started to darken up the last week or so.

Attachments

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Excellent Steve sorry I haven't been on Facebook ,your doing an excellent job with them. I'm away with work if you want to PM me on here anytime that's cool. My yangi larvae where incredibly aggressive .Try and morph them as big as possible but they will leave the water at 4-6CM, 6-7CM is best they are like raising Shanjing from there on in. I had excellent advise from Jari B with his experiences with the Shanjing

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks dude! No worries I remember you telling me you would be away for a couple weeks, how are your travels?

I have been trying to encourage them to grow and stay in the water by keeping it deep. Some are jus starting to show some color, the biggest are probably around 4-5 cm right now so hopefully they continue to grow. I think they grow a lot faster as larvae anyways.

I like to post here because it does a better job documenting, on Facebook as people post everything is lost so it is hard to reference anything. I feed them black worms and brine shrimp adults form the store on occasion.

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
As each day passes now there seem to be more noticible changes (in the bigger ones at least). The orange seems to be coming in, I am curious how they will look by the end of the week.

Attachments

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is the best ever newt and salamander resource. Good job mate

I agree! It is unfortunate Facebook does not do as good a job documenting everything/loses it as new content is posted. With all the Facebook groups a lot of information is posted there now/probably part of the reason the traffic on this site has slowed. I still like to post here for that reason, easier for myself and others to reference if needed.

shnabo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think we are getting close! I separated a few of the bigger larvae because they still had some smaller siblings in with them and as the others grow are looking more snack-sized. Most of them are around 2.5-3 inches, the smaller ones being around 2. Adult coloration is coming in full force on some of them, hoping they will stay in the water a little longer but they are a good size if they start to morph.

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +2
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if hot glue is fine to glue rocks together?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Should be. Hot glue is good when dry I believe, just don't let it get too hot and you should be good. Most super glues are good as well just watch out for flume warnings
    +2
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    hello, I am currently tubbing my axolotl due to cycling the tank. I have read different answers on how many times to do a 100% water change a day when tubbing. Some say once and some say twice. I just want to actually ask and get answers for myself. Thank
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    As often as you need to keep the water clean! Since you´re cycling, I assume you have a test kit. Just test a few times to see how long it takes for your ammonia to go up, and as soon as it does, change the water.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Yes,I have the master test kit. Thank you! So just test the water in the tub that my axolotl is in now to gauge off of for changing?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
    Murk: That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the... +1