Temp on baby axololts

Bajamama

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi every one. My question for the day is what temp do you have your tanks at for axolotls that are about three inches long? I just checked the temp in the tank and it read .32 degrees F. Is this ok?

Is your water frozen? Because 32F is the freezing point. I'm hoping that's a typo , or your thermometer is broken. That's a bit too cold.

Hi every one. My question for the day is what temp do you have your tanks at for axolotls that are about three inches long? I just checked the temp in the tank and it read .32 degrees F. Is this ok?
From all the info I have read and researched the temp should be between 60-72 degrees F. Not to exceed 75 as it can cause stress and death. You want to keep your babies around the same temp as an adult. Lower temps will slow growth and eating habits as it slows the metabolism. But if you freeze them they will die. That is one way of culling your unwanted eggs.

---*****Please. If the info is incorrect that I have just given correct me as it is from reading that I have found this and do not have personal experience and I want to learn right from wrong before I get my own.*****---

From all the info I have read and researched the temp should be between 60-72 degrees F. Not to exceed 75 as it can cause stress and death.

Ive always hated seeing the temperature ranges shown this way because it's misleading. You start at an optimal temperature for the low end and move way outside that range and include the warmest temperatures they can temporarily tolerate. Without knowing better, It would give the impression they can tolerate tropical temperatures, which can be dangerous.

Also, 72 and 75 are both considered maximum temperatures depending on your sources. Ambystoma uses the former in their documentation, for example. Anything above 70 is considered a higher risk for illnesses and not ideal.

Most people on here seem to feel that 60F to 65F is ideal. I've seen lots of people who keep their chiller set at 64F. Try to keep your tank under 70F for optimal health. Anything below 50F would probably result in pretty slow moving axis- they might not be much fun to watch! 40F to 45F are good temps for fridging Axolotl's and will result in reduced metabolism and sluggish behavior. It's highly improbable that someone would be able to maintain an indoor aquarium at 32F, which is why I suspect a typo or a screwy thermometer. And at 32F, you should start seeing ice form. Lots of species survive the winter under the ice, but that's not the environment we're shooting for in an aquarium.

Oh my goodness i meant 62 degrees F not 32 degrees F. I think i will try to keep it at 65 degrees. Thank you for all your help.:eek:

Ive always hated seeing the temperature ranges shown this way because it's misleading. You start at an optimal temperature for the low end and move way outside that range and include the warmest temperatures they can temporarily tolerate. Without knowing better, It would give the impression they can tolerate tropical temperatures, which can be dangerous.

Also, 72 and 75 are both considered maximum temperatures depending on your sources. Ambystoma uses the former in their documentation, for example. Anything above 70 is considered a higher risk for illnesses and not ideal.

Lol, plenty of people have axolotl's in 75+ degree water for their entire lives, although it may not be optimal it doesn't mean they're going to die in a week if they're in it. They can live far into adulthood in higher temperatures. It raises the chances of fungal infections, which doesn't mean it will definitely happen. Using a cell phone increases the chances of brain tumors but people use them every day!
I keep my axolotls around 66 degrees as I want to provide that for them, but it's not a life or death thing like some people make it out to be.

Thanks for the corrections guys. I really do appreciate it. My house is typically 62-64 unless I want to get fresh air and let the ac have a break for a few hours. I have always preferred cold to hot so I keep the house nice and cool. I don't see any issues keeping my tanks in the low to mid 60's. On e again I would like to say thanks for correcting me. I am here to learn after all. :)

Lol, plenty of people have axolotl's in 75+ degree water for their entire lives, although it may not be optimal it doesn't mean they're going to die in a week if they're in it. They can live far into adulthood in higher temperatures. It raises the chances of fungal infections, which doesn't mean it will definitely happen. Using a cell phone increases the chances of brain tumors but people use them every day!
I keep my axolotls around 66 degrees as I want to provide that for them, but it's not a life or death thing like some people make it out to be.

It will not kill them in a week, but living at higher temps speeds up their metabolism and shortens the lifespan long term. If you want your axi to live a long healthy life, and reach it's full potential lifespan, you should be keeping them at temperatures that are appropriate for the species. I feel if you decide to keep any pet, you should do everything in your power to provide them with the best care you can, not just the minimum to keep them alive. Being in a cage filled with urine soaked shavings won't kill my guinea pigs in a week either, but is that really the way I should be caring for an animal that I have chosen to keep as a pet? Having a pet isn't mandatory. Please take your responsibility as a pet owner seriously.

It will not kill them in a week, but living at higher temps speeds up their metabolism and shortens the lifespan long term. If you want your axi to live a long healthy life, and reach it's full potential lifespan, you should be keeping them at temperatures that are appropriate for the species. I feel if you decide to keep any pet, you should do everything in your power to provide them with the best care you can, not just the minimum to keep them alive. Being in a cage filled with urine soaked shavings won't kill my guinea pigs in a week either, but is that really the way I should be caring for an animal that I have chosen to keep as a pet? Having a pet isn't mandatory. Please take your responsibility as a pet owner seriously.

I do, of course, as I stated I keep my tanks below 66 degrees. I provide the optimal living for all three of my axolotls.

So why defend poor animal husbandry? "Not dead yet" shouldn't be the standard for judging quality of life or the quality of care provided.

You do know that 72+ is not an arbitrary number right? It's considered the upper range BECAUSE axololts start to die off at those temperatures!

Nobody successfully keeps their adult axolotls in 75+ temperatures for over a year and has any success, and I would challenge you to produce evidence otherwise. I think you are just spreding illinformed hyperbole.

There are reasons why people stress the importance of keeping axolotls in the optimum temperature range. Higher risk of illness, stress and a faster metabolism resulting in a shortened lifespan are very valid reasons to avoid keeping axolotls in the higher temperatures outside the optimum range. I think we should be encouraging optimum conditions, not shrugging them off.

You do know that 72+ is not an arbitrary number right? It's considered the upper range BECAUSE axololts start to die off at those temperatures!

Nobody successfully keeps their adult axolotls in 75+ temperatures for over a year and has any success, and I would challenge you to produce evidence otherwise. I think you are just spreding illinformed hyperbole.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who have living axolotls that just haven't researched the "perfect" living requirements. I'm not saying it's optimal but there are lots of people who don't know about this website and just have axolotls on gravel in 75 degree water with tons of current that have been living for a while.
You saying that doesn't happen is like saying that in the entirety of space there isn't one form of life other than on earth.

I'm not supporting it, nor am I "shrugging it off", I'm just stating that the original point of them being able to "temporarily tolerate" higher temperatures implies that it will kill them in a short amount of time, when in fact it isn't going to kill them all that fast. I'm not telling anyone to hold their axolotls in 80 degree water, I'm not saying that's okay, I'm just saying that people exaggerate quite a bit. A lot of people keep their axolotls at room temperature, even people that come on this site often and know the guidelines set by these experts here. A lot of people put them on sand, give them the right food, and simply think that there is nothing in between a $500 chiller and nothing at all, so they just use nothing at all. Fans are amazing at keeping the temperature down, I know mine stays below 66 degrees in the summer with just two small fans.

I I'm not saying it's optimal but there are lots of people who don't know about this website and just have axolotls on gravel in 75 degree water with tons of current that have been living for a while.
You saying that doesn't happen is like saying that in the entirety of space there isn't one form of life other than on earth.

I'm not supporting it, nor am I "shrugging it off", I'm just stating that the original point of them being able to "temporarily tolerate" higher temperatures implies that it will kill them in a short amount of time, when in fact it isn't going to kill them all that fast. I'm not telling anyone to hold their axolotls in 80 degree water, I'm not saying that's okay, I'm just saying that people exaggerate quite a bit. .

Jonjey you're in real danger of misleading a lot of people who come here for solid advice. I understand your point that you feel that members here feel that axolotl care is set in stone and I get your point that axolotls might live in higher temperatures at some point, even potentially in the wild.

The point is, other people come on here looking for advice and they tend to read what they want to read. As soon as someone says "I know someone who keeps their axolotl at 80 degrees" that effectively will give someone the go ahead to do it because it's apparently, fine. It doesn't matter that you're following that with "but it's not ideal" or that you personally don't do it.

You previously started a thread about housing axolotls with another species and when you were advised that it wasn't a good idea given that they have different temperature requirements you just shrugged that off with "I wasn't going to do it, I was just asking" and the thread ran for 3 pages of you keeping the debate going.

I genuinely don't know if you're trolling or not. You've used the "it won't kill them instantly" argument before. There seems to be a trend of skewing advice which is tried and tested and is laid down for the optimum living conditions for your axolotl, not for what the owner would like, or what's convenient for the owner. The skewed advice is usually followed by "I don't/wouldn't do it though". Why even suggest or ask about housing axolotls in conditions that affect their health when you wouldn't do it, or don't do it?

Jonjey you're in real danger of misleading a lot of people who come here for solid advice. I understand your point that you feel that members here feel that axolotl care is set in stone and I get your point that axolotls might live in higher temperatures at some point, even potentially in the wild.

The point is, other people come on here looking for advice and they tend to read what they want to read. As soon as someone says "I know someone who keeps their axolotl at 80 degrees" that effectively will give someone the go ahead to do it because it's apparently, fine. It doesn't matter that you're following that with "but it's not ideal" or that you personally don't do it.

You previously started a thread about housing axolotls with another species and when you were advised that it wasn't a good idea given that they have different temperature requirements you just shrugged that off with "I wasn't going to do it, I was just asking" and the thread ran for 3 pages of you keeping the debate going.

I genuinely don't know if you're trolling or not. You've used the "it won't kill them instantly" argument before. There seems to be a trend of skewing advice which is tried and tested and is laid down for the optimum living conditions for your axolotl, not for what the owner would like, or what's convenient for the owner. The skewed advice is usually followed by "I don't/wouldn't do it though". Why even suggest or ask about housing axolotls in conditions that affect their health when you wouldn't do it, or don't do it?

I agree.
I think that it should be thoroughly pushed to not have an axolotl in higher temperatures. I think that axolotls should be kept in the optimum requirements, I know I keep mine in very good conditions, and I know it's not hard for everyone else to do the same. I just get aggravated when people say things like "If you keep it on sand it can get impacted and die." or "If you have an air stone it can eat the bubbles and die." or "If you have it at 73 degrees it will die." or "If you keep a shrimp with it it will die." or "If you let it eat quarantined feeder fish it will die."
All that nonsense needs to stop, people need to get a grip and let themselves, and their axolotls, LIVE A LITTLE. A simple fan is all it takes to keep an axolotl tank cool, an air stone is not going to kill an axolotl, 73 degrees is not going to kill an axolotl, but it is not optimal conditions. These animals are a lot heartier than people make them out to be, they are extinct because of big fish and bad pollutants, not because of a hot day or bubbles.
I hope that people would not be so lame to think that "not dying" is good enough. Maybe I over estimate the intelligence of these people, or maybe you under estimate it.

Just for my two cents worth, when i first joined this site, i was clueless about axies, i wanted somebody to sit there and say "this is whats you need to do, this is best for your axie" i didnt want somebody to say "this is best for them but if not dont sweat it, they wont die instantly".
When people dont know about something, especially a living creature, they need to be told THE best way to care for that creature, then if they go a little off track, you know the creature is still going to be okay.

Ive never read on here anyone say that an airstone will kill your axies, but i take that it was an example, there are a few things we know are definatly bad for axies, high temps, gravel, tank mates and bad water quality. Relaying the message to get these right and at optimun range ensures that the people who follow the advice, cant go far wrong.

tank mates

Shrimp, snails, and small fish (guppies, minnows, platys, danios, etc) are all fine.

But seriously, I didn't tell anyone to do it, and I didn't say it was okay to do, I just don't like people exaggerating. I don't see anything wrong with the guideline of "This is how an axolotl should be kept." Not "This is how an axolotl should be kept, otherwise it will die faster than you can say Coocoo Cachoo!"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back