Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature benefits worth it?

phineasferb

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I wanted to run this by the long time keepers on this forum to see if there were any real benefits to using ice packs to keep vivarium temperatures cooler. From what I've gathered via the various websites, a temperature of 55-70 is a good range with the cooler side being ideal. My current house temperature sits between 73-75F and after placing the ice packs above the enclosure on a rack, the temperature inside the vivarium dropped a few degrees to about 67-68F. In addition, I found the water temperature to be around 64 degrees. I did this by placing digital temperature readers in the cage. Now, I understand they may not be the highest of quality readers but I think it provides a good estimate. I also do not find it feasible to change out the ice packs; however, it may be a solution for temporary power outages or for those who struggle to maintain a cool temperatures in their home. Any feedback is appreciated and welcomed!

IMG_20200304_131628.jpg
IMG_20200304_131654.jpg
IMG_20200304_131711.jpg
IMG_20200304_131734.jpg

JoshBA

Reaction score
That looks like a really good way to keep the setup cool when the room temperature gets too high. Good job!

In my experience with the western species, temperatures in the low to mid seventies are tolerated quite well. While in general they do seem to be more active, I've even observed individuals exhibiting dormancy-type behaviors where they remain under the soil for the long periods of time, with seemingly minimal effect on their health. This indicates to me that they have some metabolic adaptations to drought-like conditions (e.g., reduced metabolic activity), and so don't experience the loss of energy reserves that would otherwise be expected at higher temperatures when they're in this 'dormant' state.

However, I do agree that cooler temperatures in general are better in the long run, and that extended conditions above the mid/high seventies are detrimental (I've observed sluggish activity, food refusal, etc.).

Especially if changing out the ice packs is burdensome, I definitely don't think you need to utilize them outside of the occasional temperature spike above the high seventies.

phineasferb

Reaction score
That looks like a really good way to keep the setup cool when the room temperature gets too high. Good job!

In my experience with the western species, temperatures in the low to mid seventies are tolerated quite well. While in general they do seem to be more active, I've even observed individuals exhibiting dormancy-type behaviors where they remain under the soil for the long periods of time, with seemingly minimal effect on their health. This indicates to me that they have some metabolic adaptations to drought-like conditions (e.g., reduced metabolic activity), and so don't experience the loss of energy reserves that would otherwise be expected at higher temperatures when they're in this 'dormant' state.

However, I do agree that cooler temperatures in general are better in the long run, and that extended conditions above the mid/high seventies are detrimental (I've observed sluggish activity, food refusal, etc.).

Especially if changing out the ice packs is burdensome, I definitely don't think you need to utilize them outside of the occasional temperature spike above the high seventies.

Appreciate the response, Josh! I currently have three Texas Barred Tigers with completely different personalities. One male almost never burrows and eats anything you place in front of him. He also has an insatiable diet it seems as he constantly begs for food even after eating an entire night crawler. The second male came to me fairly thin and has only eaten a small piece of worm. He stays burrowed almost 90% of the time. The female is 50/50 when it comes to burrowing but will readily eat with no issues.

I can't say for sure if the few degrees cooler made any difference and thanks to your response, I will probably only use ice packs if temps are in the upper 70s.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!