Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Thumbnails as first dart-frogs

GeoNewt

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been looking to keep dart-frogs from some time now, and have done a lot of research, but I only have a limited amount of space. The frogs which particularly appeal to me are Ranitomeya, but I've had lots of conflicting advice as to whether they are any good for beginners. Of the Ranitomeya the species that I have been told I could try are R. amazonica, lamasi and ventrimaculatus. Does anyone disagree with this, or are there any other thumbnails that could be considered? Also, I'm particularly interested in breeding the frogs, and have been told that the ventrimaculatus and amazonica are relatively easy species to breed - again, is this correct, or would I be much better off looking at something like E. anthonyi, which is very easy to breed and care for but not (in my opinion) as pretty? Also, which other frogs that are not in the Dendrobates family would you recommend?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only dart frogs I've kept were thumbnails so I think it is possible to start with them as a beginner frog. Basically their care is all the same although some breed more readily in captivity and some are hardier. I would strongly recommend you start by learning all there is to know about culturing tiny foods, especially fruit flies. Either find yourself a reliable supplier of fly medium or get a decent recipe. I bought my own for ease. Tiny tropical frogs have very high metabolisms so a constant food supply is essential. Flies, spring tails and tropical woodlice are the staple so master these before purchasing frogs.

Dendroworld is a friendly UK based dart frog forum. There's always lots of private sales, tips and advice.

GeoNewt

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have already joined Dendroworld, I'm just waiting for my account to be activated. Which thumbnails would you recommend?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I only have experience of R.imitator (see my avatar) and can recommend them, although they are rather shy. There may be a bolder Ranitomeya species. I kept them in 40cm ENT cubes and had 3-4 per tank. They're territorial so a single pair is often the best option to avoid stress and conflict.

GeoNewt

Reaction score
Thanks again.
I already had a 30x30x30 ENT vivarium, so this afternoon I had a go at setting it up for thumbnails. I'm planning on obtaining the frogs in a month's time, so there should be time for the food to breed and the plants to grow. Would you recommend any alterations to the tank? Also, what temperatures did you keep them at?

Attachments

• IMGP2077.jpg
    IMGP2077.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 1,589
  • IMGP2079.jpg
    IMGP2079.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 917
  • IMGP2080.jpg
    IMGP2080.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • IMGP2082.jpg
    IMGP2082.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,078

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would add more plants. My imitators were very arboreal and spent most of their time off the floor hidden amongst the leaves. Pothos is a great climbing plant which'll give you instant structure and levels. Lots of small bromeliads will provide small pools of water for breeding and hiding.

For general care information (housing, lighting, temperature, humidity etc...) our very own Alan Cann has a great care overview here:
Keeping Dartfrogs - a knol by AJ Cann

joshfrogz72

Reaction score
the anthonyi get cherry red with yellow lines , they get more red with age and are bueatiful when they get older try looking up pics when there older you will be amazed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1