Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger salamander axolotl paludarium

Jasonnau

Reaction score
Been using this 36" exo terra for awhile now. I keep axolotls tiger salamanders and red salamanders in here together. There is a waterfall pump that keeps the water from the main water area circulating through the entire gravel bed for biological filtration. Although tigers are burrowing salamanders, I keep mine in a very aquatic habitat. They are thriving and very healthy. There are hiding spots everywhere inside and if they choose they can avoid the water. They actually spend more than half of their time submerged in the water. There are three tiger salamanders in here and at any given point there is certain to be one or two submerged in the water with the axolotl's. My setup is not indicative of breeding tiger salamanders and although the axolotl's have been bred in this Tank there has never been any tiger salamander attempts to breed with axolotl's. All of the inhabitants coexist without damaging each other. The tiger salamanders have never damaged the axolotl's or vice versa. There are also to red salamanders in here. I rarely see them except for when I turn the lights on in the morning.
I do use gravel in the tank. However it is a large gravel that cannot be swallowed by the axolotl's accidentally. The large gravel helps to allow water to freely circulate from the aquatic section to the terrestrial section allowing for biological filtration. I use a Fluval 404 canister filter to filter the approximate 7 gallons of water in this aquarium. The water intake is covered by a sponge to prevent accidentally trapping any inhabitants. To prevent flow issues with the axolotl's the water return goes across the back of the aquarium and into the gravel as a waterfall where it flows back into the main water body through the gravel instead of creating flow. The tank is lit with compact florescent. I keep philodendrons and bromeliads as the vegetation. I can't remember the name of the water plant but it might be hydrophillia. The axolotl's seem to prefer being under the vegetation and when enough vegetation is present they don't try to hide. I usually feed nightcrawlers however I sometimes feed crickets with calcium dust and occasionally goldfish as treats. I've had this Tank for three years now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 5,599

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your tank has some features I like, though I might do some of it differently. Do you have a photo of the whole tank?

You might want to consider siliconing some of the gravel together into larger pieces/structures. This shows how large of a piece of gravel an axolotl can ingest:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/images/articles/illness/xray_post_95633.jpg

Did you really mean 7 gallons of water? Have you measured the nitrate level? With the number of animals, it could be sky-high.

Jasonnau

Reaction score
Let's see if this works

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 8,437

TristanClark

Reaction score
Tigers and axolotls should be kept seperate, Tigers only come to the water to breed even though they stay close to the vernal pools they breed in, and I'm sure they get in those pools some outside of breeding. However the majority of the time they like to be on land, the gravel isn't really the best thing, they are called MOLE salamanders for a reason. they like to burrow. That being said you should make the tiger something simple with moss or coconut fiber to burrow in and a decent sized water dish just enough for it to submerge in, and the axolotls should be kept in an all water tank seperately. Tigers aren't as aquatic as alot of people think. This should help you alot Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101 Good luck with your animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1