Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Toxic tiger?

Reccetrooper

Reaction score
I’ve read that the western barred tiger salamander secretes a mild toxin through its skin. Is there any truth to this and what type of toxin is it?
Cheers,
Reccetrooper

EllieWind

Reaction score
I can attest that yes they are poisonous and secrete a milky-looking toxin from glands on the tail, but this is only done if they feel threatened or otherwise extremely stressed out. I've only ever personally seen a tiger sal secreting poison only once.
I can't seem to find any solid info on what type of toxin it is. The only mention I saw was from an annotated article on jstor that suggested a neurotoxin component.

Reccetrooper

Reaction score
I can attest that yes they are poisonous and secrete a milky-looking toxin from glands on the tail, but this is only done if they feel threatened or otherwise extremely stressed out. I've only ever personally seen a tiger sal secreting poison only once.
I can't seem to find any solid info on what type of toxin it is. The only mention I saw was from an annotated article on jstor that suggested a neurotoxin component.
Thank you EllieWind. This is good to know 😉

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!