Transferring babies

New to axolotl

Reaction score
Country
England
Had my guys for about 4 weeks now in a 48L tank. I can't believe how quickly they've grown. 3 inches already ( 1and half on arrival. I have been doing daily changes as they were tiny babies from pots. No cycling. They're doing great but I have bought a 100L tub.... yes a tub ! As I'm an experienced aquarium keeper and I know better than to prompt tank needs with babies.
Anyway
No fish cycle for 2 weeks. Waterfall filter stacked on natural tile .double sides filter so I stole a seachem purigen filter bag from 1 of my top tanks to give axi tub a boost.
Any advice from you guys is most gratfully appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Gem City Axolotls
Welcome to the group! Glad to hear your new babies are growing so well! I’d be happy to help with any questions you might have along the way ☺

Lindagriffithh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Had my guys for about 4 weeks now in a 48L tank. I can't believe how quickly they've grown. 3 inches already ( 1and half on arrival. I have been doing daily changes as they were tiny babies from pots. No cycling. They're doing great but I have bought a 100L tub.... yes a tub ! As I'm an experienced aquarium keeper and I know better than to prompt tank needs with babies.
Anyway
No fish cycle for 2 weeks. Waterfall filter stacked on natural tile .double sides filter so I stole a seachem purigen filter bag from 1 of my top tanks to give axi tub a boost.
Any advice from you guys is most gratfully appreciated.
My advices:
Temperatures up to the low 70s Fahrenheit!
Feed them with nightcrawlers (large earthworms) and store bought bloodworm cubes!

New to axolotl

Reaction score
Country
England
I've been feeding them bloodworms since they arrived. They have also been esting chopped up earthworms blanched ( great advice from another axi keeper ) last was fed last night. Half each. No poop this morning. Not floating either. Should I wait for poop before feeding again?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • (Guest) Taro Tea:
    Will anything happen to my axolotl??
  • Mother of Dragons:
    keep adding prime everyday for a week and your axolotl should be ok
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest guy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) guy:
    hey
  • sde:
    Caudata.org chat? Haven’t seen this in years
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dougie:
    @sde, hi everybody I'm getting a tiger salamander coming from Katy Texas what are the shipping conditions that's okay to have them shipped to me in the state of Vermont it's just starting to get the temperature low above 45 but it may be too hot to ship him any thoughts or ideas on how to work this out
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtmember:
    as long as its not freezing they should ship fine. I usually ship mine in 2 days priorities like axolotl. insulation and some cold pack. Is this morphed or still a larvae?
    +1
    Unlike
  • macmac194:
    Greetings I have a quaratined tiger salamander due to not feeding and feeling lethargic. I saw a slimy green stuff inside the enclosure. Is this vomit? Poop?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jjrio421:
    Are you still looking to rehome any of your axolotl babies?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest nagato has joined the room.
  • (Guest) nagato:
    Does anybody know where or who to buy danube crested newts from?
  • Mother of Dragons:
    Anyone in the DMV area looking for juvenile axolotls? I have several morphs available. Experienced owners and pickup only please.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest axmaolotl has joined the room.
  • Ariania Lee-Ann:
    I currently have a 3 year old axolotl, he hasn't been eating for the past couple of weeks and has lost a lot of weight. Hedwig usually eats bloodworms and earthworms just fine but now he won't even stud it. I've done a water change to make his nitrate lower and his water is at a good temperature
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Guest zippy has joined the room.
  • (Guest) zippy:
    what substrate is he on?
  • Linkisnotzelda:
    Are any of you guys on Quora? I’ve started an axolotl space there and am looking for people interested in helping out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • KarateKid08:
    I am wanting a spotted or tiger salamander and I was wondering how often to feed, what the best feeders would be and how many fed per feeding session.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KarateKid08 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • newtboi:
    Can I has alpine newts pls
    +1
    Unlike
  • ndbug:
    Any ambystoma breeders looking for californiense
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    does anybody have any information on homemade baby axolotl food?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl owner2020:
    I have an earthworm farm, and a tight budget.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Naxuzi:
    Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate and eating as usual but I did notice veins in the tail area.. let me know what you guys think! Also if anyone could tell if it’s a boy or girl that would be great! (Zolo was eating a worm and pretty sure the worm pooped XD)
    +1
    Unlike
    Naxuzi: Hey guys I was wondering if my axolotl looks fine to you he/she (still don’t know) I’d activate... +1