Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus Karelinii - newbie questions

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Elkendo, we are talking of using them as bait. Traditional uses for human consumption are not relevant.

To be honest, the whole thing sounds incredibly dodgy to me...froml the various species depicted on that page, to the claim about massive production and the supossed used as bait, none of it makes any sense whatsoever....

elKendo97

Reaction score
Elkendo, we are talking of using them as bait. Traditional uses for human consumption are not relevant.

To be honest, the whole thing sounds incredibly dodgy to me...froml the various species depicted on that page, to the claim about massive production and the supossed used as bait, none of it makes any sense whatsoever....

Just as I said as a curiosity, know it sounds wrong but I think that it goes without saying as brutes that are in the villages here in Spain...

paice

Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys :)

i will try to heed all the valuable comments.

ps: by the way, today my first two eggs hatched in a seperate container. yay! i am starting the brine shrimp culture asap and got some java moss already. Lets see how it will turn out

paice

Reaction score
Hello again,

so i made a couple of changes on my newt habitat after your comments. (and id like to add all really appreciated.)

so here is a couple of pictures of the refurbished housing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqyk76vh6qsuxbx/IMG_20150114_153904.jpg?dl=0

i planted a load of java moss and some other java .. plant, forgot the name. i have a question about the live plants though. do i need to use tablet or liquid fertilizers? or does the liquid fertilizers harm the newts in any way?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1bv9l2yd40g2rw/IMG_20150114_153923.jpg?dl=0

i cut the whole top and lay a net for better ventilation. And also fitted lights for the plants. The water temp is 64-70 F, so i didnt remove the filter. Though another question: Does the light bother or stress the newts? or do i need to use special lighting to prevent that? There are a couple hiding spots within the rocks, tho they seem to use those only at night times.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oht3mwodu24yt7h/IMG_20150113_174257.jpg?dl=0

at the moment i can feel that they are more relaxed because of the live plants, so much appreciated.

And now my last question. I found this link from a local supplier:

Canl

are those mealworms? and if so how can i give them to the newts? throw those into the water? submerge in a petri dish? or hand feed under water?

thanks for your help guys. (oh and they definitely are not triturus .. .Ommatotriton vittatus is the correct species name i suppose)

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Mealworms have a hard exoskeleton and are not very nutritious, so they should not be fed as a staple. The staple should consist of either chopped or smaller whole earthworm/nightcrawler or a high quality pellet, other foods can be fed as treats.
I would also be careful with that gravel, it looks like it could be swallowed and lots of waste will build up underneath it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1