Triturus sp?

enricolatiano

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi
i have bought this newt. the seller, has told me that it's a karelinii but it seems me a different from the various kareliniis that I have seen in photo. according to you what kind is? sorry for my english and for the photos

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
It may be my work place blocking photos but I don't see any pictures. Does anyone else see pictures?

enricolatiano

Reaction score
Country
Italy
sorry ;D this is the pics

Last edited by a moderator:

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Country
United States
That really looks like a Triturus cristatus. Looks a lot like mine when they were younger. The same coloration and the shape of the head leans towards T. cristatus. Its not a T. karelinii because of the body shape of T. karelinii is more stout. The newt in your pictures has a slender body shape so it can't be any Triturus species with stout bodies. Maybe can you post a couple more pictures?

Attachments

caleb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Caleb Leeke
That really looks like a Triturus cristatus.
The yellow and black throat (just visible on the second picture) is absolutely characteristic of karelinii (and arntzeni)- cristatus always have a dark throat with white spots. The angular grey spots on the back are also much more common in karelinii than in cristatus.

Tudor

Reaction score
Country
Romania
The yellow and black throat (just visible on the second picture) is absolutely characteristic of karelinii (and arntzeni)- cristatus always have a dark throat with white spots. The angular grey spots on the back are also much more common in karelinii than in cristatus.
I totally agree with you. It definitely looks like T.karelinii. The only aspect that confuses me a little is the tail. It looks to be short for any species of Triturus... But who knows, maybe it is a regenerated tail...

Tudor

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Is quite possible. The female have a nice round belly. Except the situation in which you fed her to much :happy:. But, if the newt come from a large community in which she have access to some males...:p:p
So, keep an eye on her.
Also, I was wrong regarding the tail. Is a normal tail. The first pictures that you post, misled me.

enricolatiano

Reaction score
Country
Italy
ok it is a pure karelinii?howerwer it was been whit other male and other female.it have eggs?

enricolatiano

Reaction score
Country
Italy
i know it isn't a pure karelinii.My friends told me it was a hybrid for karelinii and cristatus.it's possible?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
    AnimeDan: Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as... +1