Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Triturus sp?

enricolatiano

Reaction score
Hi
i have bought this newt. the seller, has told me that it's a karelinii but it seems me a different from the various kareliniis that I have seen in photo. according to you what kind is? sorry for my english and for the photos

enricolatiano

Reaction score
it's:

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_2720.jpg
    IMG_2720.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 570

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
That really looks like a Triturus cristatus. Looks a lot like mine when they were younger. The same coloration and the shape of the head leans towards T. cristatus. Its not a T. karelinii because of the body shape of T. karelinii is more stout. The newt in your pictures has a slender body shape so it can't be any Triturus species with stout bodies. Maybe can you post a couple more pictures?

Attachments

• IMG_5622.JPG
    IMG_5622.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 634

caleb

Reaction score
That really looks like a Triturus cristatus.

The yellow and black throat (just visible on the second picture) is absolutely characteristic of karelinii (and arntzeni)- cristatus always have a dark throat with white spots. The angular grey spots on the back are also much more common in karelinii than in cristatus.

Tudor

Reaction score
The yellow and black throat (just visible on the second picture) is absolutely characteristic of karelinii (and arntzeni)- cristatus always have a dark throat with white spots. The angular grey spots on the back are also much more common in karelinii than in cristatus.

I totally agree with you. It definitely looks like T.karelinii. The only aspect that confuses me a little is the tail. It looks to be short for any species of Triturus... But who knows, maybe it is a regenerated tail...

enricolatiano

Reaction score
other pics.
do you think it have eggs?

Attachments

• IMG_2762.jpg
    IMG_2762.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_2747.jpg
    IMG_2747.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2757.jpg
    IMG_2757.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_2737.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2752.jpg
    IMG_2752.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 277

Tudor

Reaction score
Is quite possible. The female have a nice round belly. Except the situation in which you fed her to much :happy:. But, if the newt come from a large community in which she have access to some males...:p:p
So, keep an eye on her.
Also, I was wrong regarding the tail. Is a normal tail. The first pictures that you post, misled me.

enricolatiano

Reaction score
ok it is a pure karelinii?howerwer it was been whit other male and other female.it have eggs?

enricolatiano

Reaction score
i know it isn't a pure karelinii.My friends told me it was a hybrid for karelinii and cristatus.it's possible?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1