Tylototriton kweichowensis/sp

AW: Re: Tylototriton kweichowensis/sp

Jorge, I agree, you be on solid ground, picture 2 is shanjing - exam succeeded.( One of this four in the basket, offspring in hand), - sorry for mix up,
beautiful pictures you made,
ummi

Attachments

• T Shanjing 2010.jpg
    T Shanjing 2010.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 648
  • shanjing.JPG
    shanjing.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 637
All these pictures are just great. Really like those buggers. Can I assume that my animals are T. cf. kweichowensis?They really look the same. Seeing all those other pictures makes me more interested in other Tylo species.

@Kevin
When I saw them for the first time in his shed I immidiatlely fell in love. Good luck with your shed. I know you're doing a great job.

Yeah, Niels, until the taxonomic situation of your animals is comfirmed, it´s best to call them T.cf.kweichowensis.

I don´t see any T.shanjing :S Ummi, in your first picture we can clearly see a typical T.cf.kweichowensis, and the animal behind it looks almost definitely like T.kweichowensis...are you saying that animal is a T.shanjing instead? Because i would disagree.
I wouldn´t trust a word of what any pet-shop says xD When they said same location they probably meant same dealer, or they were just making it up like oh so many other things.

Woah tho orange on those is super bright!

I keep mine dryish but right now I'm slowing down their feeding and drying the tank out in an attempt to breed them. The tank right now is "hilly" (meaning that it has different levels of the ground) with a water bowl and a few plants. In the new tank there will be more water and I might put in a rain bar to simulate heavy rains. I have the same as yours and are calling them T. cf. kweichowensis. I just have one question... What does the cf stand for? :eek:

AW: Re: Tylototriton kweichowensis/sp

Azhael: from the second five pictures the second one shows a shanjing - you located it?

No :S I´m sorry, i don´t see it. I only see what look like T.cf.kweichowensis juveniles.
The problem is in the first picture, though. I don´t mean to be rude, and i really do hope you don´t take offence, but if you are keeping T.kweichowensis and T.cf.kweichowensis together then the juveniles may be hybrids of two different species or perhaps intergrades of two subspecies and i find that very unfortunate, specially since Tylototriton breedings are not very frequent.
Certainly if they are indeed hybrids, it´s something that should be taken into account to prevent the genetic introgression from spreading uncontrolled. It would be a pitty.

Even more interesting is to see that you do also breed T. shanjing! How superb is that! You're currently breeding 5 of the 8 known species of Tylototriton! I guess that record belongs only to you! Indeed I would be a very proud man If had achieved such breedings! And I do know you're breeding a few more species from a few posts you have on the forum... You make most, If not all forum users looking as noobs when compared to your breeding achievements... I hope I achieve myself such a level in the future:D!

@ Niels D, Nice looking female! Surely they are T. cf. kweichowensis! I've had during 3 winter months a pair of females with 19cm! Really huge beasts! I really got upset for selling them but I had no other option... Sadly all I could do was to sell them since feeding sources were vanishing in that point... They just ate way too much for what I was used...
But I keep the pictures and nice memories of these indeed amazing animals!!

cfkwei2.jpg

cfkwei.jpg

Cheers!

I just have one question... What does the cf stand for? :eek:
Literally it means "confer". It indicates a similarity or reluctant identification with a particular species, with doubt. That is, it indicates animals which are similar to a known species but which are suspected not to be the same species.

Tylototriton kweichowensis, by definition, has costal glands which are squarish in shape and mostly fused together. This results in continuous dorsolateral orange glandular ridges. The vast majority of these animals have distinct separate glands, and the form of glands is normally very reliable in Tylototriton for distinguishing species. In addition, typical T.kweichowensis often have much more orange on the rear portions of the head - these animals have such color mostly restricted to the parotoid glands.

I keep mine dryish but right now I'm slowing down their feeding and drying the tank out in an attempt to breed them. The tank right now is "hilly" (meaning that it has different levels of the ground) with a water bowl and a few plants. In the new tank there will be more water and I might put in a rain bar to simulate heavy rains.

At this moment they will stay in the tank, which is devided in two with a glass wall. That's why the tank contains a water area and land area. The land area has a moist part, a dryer part and a really dry part. Winter's coming, but it won't be any colder than 15 Celsius in the room where the tank stands. I've got no breeding plans this year. I'm going to give them a lot of food and rest, so they're in a perfect condition. Next winter I will keep them colder in an attemt to breed them.

Mine don't come indoors until nighttime frosts start to become a regular occurence. They stay outside even when overnight temperatures start to drop below freezing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back