Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton verrucosus

C

Cliygh and Mia

I don't typically like crocodile newts much, but those are adorable!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Neither did I until I saw some, they do kinda grow on you though and are much better to watch than the telly. :)

codyj

Reaction score
Beautiful creatures, I have axolotl's myself but the newts look very intriguing!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These Tylos behave like Axolotls, they're big, daft, docile things most of the time, then at feeding time they will snap at anything within range. Animal, vegetable or mineral, nothing is safe from attack until I shove a worm into their mouths! :)

Attachments

• dinner.jpg
    dinner.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 834

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't updated for a while, so here's a few pics of the larvae I'm raising. I'm hoping add another pair to my colony of adults if I can stop them from eating each other! I don't know why they are so cannibalistic, they have a constant supply of Daphnia, Slaters and chopped worms, but still stalk and attack their siblings, at this rate I'll probably just end up with one huge fat morph in the end! :/ :/

Attachments

• SAM_7618 (1).jpg
    SAM_7618 (1).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 657
  • SAM_7616.jpg
    SAM_7616.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 629
  • SAM_7608.jpg
    SAM_7608.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 658

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh the joys (trauma) of being an owner of these lovelies :D
I like to take my time feeding my animals, but with these, it is a case of dump food and run. I prepare chopped worms, I hand feed any that are lurking near the surface and then spread the rest throughout the tank.... and run. An hour or so later I will go and look and check for casualties. So far only one has received an injury that has required treatment.
With regards to eggs, these all go to outdoor tubs. They have lots of live food and the strongest survive. I now wonder if this is why my home raised newt are so aggressive .

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh the joys (trauma) of being an owner of these lovelies :D
I like to take my time feeding my animals, but with these, it is a case of dump food and run. I prepare chopped worms, I hand feed any that are lurking near the surface and then spread the rest throughout the tank.... and run. An hour or so later I will go and look and check for casualties. So far only one has received an injury that has required treatment.
With regards to eggs, these all go to outdoor tubs. They have lots of live food and the strongest survive. I now wonder if this is why my home raised newt are so aggressive .

Lol, you're creating a master race of killer Tylos! :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I'd update with some recent snaps, they have been looking especially dismal/annoyed lately. I think it must mean they're healthy. 8) 8)

Attachments

• SAM_7681.jpg
    SAM_7681.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 672
  • SAM_7637.jpg
    SAM_7637.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 680
  • SAM_7642.jpg
    SAM_7642.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 746

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Awesome development thread. Cant get enough of watching the changes these guys go through. Love your plant usage, so underutilized by alot of people imo. Got me smiling.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The group of larvae I'm raising are really thriving, they have constant access to bloodworm, and other creepy crawlies out of the koi pool filter so they've really come on in size, although they bit the ends of each other's tails off early on, so infinite amounts of food is just not enough for these snappy little things!
In contrast to them, there are two larvae fending for themselves in with the adults. they're about the same length as the others, but they're much more slender and skittish. Amazingly, given their monstrous appetites, the adults completely ignore them, even when they are right under their noses!
The first pic is one that lives with the adults and the rest are the spoilt, greedy ones. :)

Attachments

• SAM_7738.jpg
    SAM_7738.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 644
  • SAM_7753.jpg
    SAM_7753.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 645
  • SAM_7754.jpg
    SAM_7754.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 632
  • SAM_7755.jpg
    SAM_7755.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 622

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Amazing! Got to say I'm kind of surprised the babies dont get eaten, thats some useful information. They are some glutinous little monsters. Awesome pics man. Appreciate the update, keep em coming.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I regularly find stray larvae in with their parents, who live in a heavily planted, high water vol, low maintenance tank with an abundance of small bugs, they seem to do very well in there. The parents seem to ignore them though the larvae are very shy and steer clear of them, the adults make no attempt to hunt them down, presumably because they are lazy hunters who prefer worms being dropped on them . It wouldn't surprise me to see parents predating on larvae who swim in front of them but I have not witnessed this and it would explain the larvae behavour, unless it's a built in anti predator response.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My adults seem to have an aversion to the larvae and just don't identify them as food. I've seen the exact same behaviour with my adult pyrrhos, they will actively seek out and consume as many of their own eggs as they can, but any that hatch are either completely ignored or avoided.
The apuanus Alpines on the other hand will eat eggs and larvae right up until they are too big to swallow! Maybe its an Asian thing.

dutch guy

Reaction score
My adults seem to have an aversion to the larvae and just don't identify them as food. I've seen the exact same behaviour with my adult pyrrhos, they will actively seek out and consume as many of their own eggs as they can, but any that hatch are either completely ignored or avoided.
The apuanus Alpines on the other hand will eat eggs and larvae right up until they are too big to swallow! Maybe its an Asian thing.
We have the same experience with the T. Shanjing, at the moment there are still aprox 6 larvae in the adult thank the largest one is 8 cm and still have gills.
The smallest are about 2 cm.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn OZZY met Tapatalk

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Thats so cool. Thats a pretty complex recognition process. I'd expect to see that with species that provide parental care or guarding of eggs, but thats more common with terrestrial adults I think. I wonder if it has anything to do with how well they disperse in the wild. Maybe in smaller pool and pond species it is more important to avoid eating young because it could have a higher impact on success of young but with stream or large lake species predation on young would be more common because the infrequency of finding young would be less detrimental in the grand scheme of success. Wonder if with the adults, its species selective or just all "mudpuppies" in general are avoided or eaten? Okay, going to stop my babbling. Thanks for the food for thought!

Sorry, easily amazed here I guess. :D

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thats so cool. Thats a pretty complex recognition process. I'd expect to see that with species that provide parental care or guarding of eggs, but thats more common with terrestrial adults I think. I wonder if it has anything to do with how well they disperse in the wild. Maybe in smaller pool and pond species it is more important to avoid eating young because it could have a higher impact on success of young but with stream or large lake species predation on young would be more common because the infrequency of finding young would be less detrimental in the grand scheme of success. Wonder if with the adults, its species selective or just all "mudpuppies" in general are avoided or eaten? Okay, going to stop my babbling. Thanks for the food for thought!

Sorry, easily amazed here I guess. :D

Could be something along those lines, I've thought in that ballpark as well.
Although most T. verrucosus will usually live aquatically throughout the year in captivity, in the wild they would have left the water and dispersed along the forest floor and their habits and personality would have adapted accordingly so their instinctive behaviour at the moment might not be entirely natural? Given the choice they will eat worms upon worms until they throw them back up!, that's never normal! ?

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Could be something along those lines, I've thought in that ballpark as well.
Although most T. verrucosus will usually live aquatically throughout the year in captivity, in the wild they would have left the water and dispersed along the forest floor and their habits and personality would have adapted accordingly so their instinctive behaviour at the moment might not be entirely natural? Given the choice they will eat worms upon worms until they throw them back up!, that's never normal! ?

Gotcha, that makes it even more intriguing! I was thinking they were primarily aquatic and occasionalyl terrestrial in the wild. I'm not brushed up on my asian newt natural history, (except echinotriton), thats for sure. How often in the wild do you think they'd have access to an endless supply of earthworms? I'd guess rarely to never, so maybe what happens in captivity is natural! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!