Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unken reflex in tiger salamanders

P

paris

here are some pictures of my local tiger salamanders doing the unken reflex. i come across these on the roads and some will reflex when i approach and some you have to poke in the back. they dont have bright undersides so its not like the ones done by tarichas-these guys cover their heads essentially -so i guess when approached by a predator their tails will be what gets bitten. [i had one once i found on the road who had a broken jaw (it lived) - my guess was that since the tail was missing that when a car ran over it's tail and anchored it - it then reflexed its body in the normal way and it's head rammed straight into the tire]....these first 2 pics are in sequence -notice how far they stretch forward on their back toes!...doesnt this first one look so sassy?
18154.jpg

18155.jpg

these are some pics from different sides

18156.jpg

18157.jpg

18158.jpg

(Message edited by paris on July 18, 2004)

J

joseph

I'm pretty sure even tigers have some kind of chemical defense. Livingunderworld.org mentions head butting, the paratoid glands on the back of the head with the head swung around so the predator contacts that area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1