Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

URGENT (I think?) curled gills

Reaction score
I'm a new axolotl owner and I've had my wild type, Oaki, for about 3 months. I got him when he was about 2 inches long and was told he was 3-4 months old. Now he's a little over five inches and has been doing well, eats axolotl sinking pellets and tries to eat my fingers. I've been struggling a bit lately with a bit of an algae bloom, but I think that it's contained and not of any danger to him. For a couple of days now, his gills have been curled forward, which I attributed to the slightly high water flow from my canister filter. I've slowed down the flow and am looking for a way to use a shower scrunchie to curb the flow. Even with the flow slowed down, his gills are still curled, he's not moving as much as normal, and his abdomen looks swollen. I don't know if I'm overreacting, but I love my little baby and need to know if somethings wrong. Please respond with all and any suggestions, and if I'm overreacting, please tell me. I just want to be sure he's okay...
Posted via Mobile Device

Attachments

• IMG-2573.jpg
    IMG-2573.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG-2572.jpg
    IMG-2572.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 119

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: URGENT (I think?)

That's the usual cause of curled gills. The best way to mitigate the output of a canister filter is a long spray bar. Stress isn't an on/off kind of thing - if it is stressed it will take a while for it to come out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaction score
Thanks for replying! He’s looking a lot better now, I slowed the flow down and did a 50% water change. Unfortunately, he’s still to skittish for me to get him out of the tank, I really want to do a deep cleaning but don’t want to hurt him. Any suggestions?

EllieWind

Reaction score
You'll want to be careful with a deep cleaning that you don't crash your nitrogen cycle. I've had to deal with pesky algae before, and what I've found works best is to use a kitchen scrubbie to clean the algae off of the tank sides/decorations and then to continue with normal 20 to 30% weekly water changes. If your nitrates are too high or the algae is really intense you can do a 50 or 70% water change. Your axolotl will be fine in the tank while you're cleaning. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1