URGENT (I think?) curled gills

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a new axolotl owner and I've had my wild type, Oaki, for about 3 months. I got him when he was about 2 inches long and was told he was 3-4 months old. Now he's a little over five inches and has been doing well, eats axolotl sinking pellets and tries to eat my fingers. I've been struggling a bit lately with a bit of an algae bloom, but I think that it's contained and not of any danger to him. For a couple of days now, his gills have been curled forward, which I attributed to the slightly high water flow from my canister filter. I've slowed down the flow and am looking for a way to use a shower scrunchie to curb the flow. Even with the flow slowed down, his gills are still curled, he's not moving as much as normal, and his abdomen looks swollen. I don't know if I'm overreacting, but I love my little baby and need to know if somethings wrong. Please respond with all and any suggestions, and if I'm overreacting, please tell me. I just want to be sure he's okay...
Posted via Mobile Device

Attachments

• IMG-2573.jpg
    IMG-2573.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG-2572.jpg
    IMG-2572.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 119
Re: URGENT (I think?)

That's the usual cause of curled gills. The best way to mitigate the output of a canister filter is a long spray bar. Stress isn't an on/off kind of thing - if it is stressed it will take a while for it to come out of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for replying! He’s looking a lot better now, I slowed the flow down and did a 50% water change. Unfortunately, he’s still to skittish for me to get him out of the tank, I really want to do a deep cleaning but don’t want to hurt him. Any suggestions?

You'll want to be careful with a deep cleaning that you don't crash your nitrogen cycle. I've had to deal with pesky algae before, and what I've found works best is to use a kitchen scrubbie to clean the algae off of the tank sides/decorations and then to continue with normal 20 to 30% weekly water changes. If your nitrates are too high or the algae is really intense you can do a 50 or 70% water change. Your axolotl will be fine in the tank while you're cleaning. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back