Use of Holtfreter's Solution

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey gang, my axolotl is just getting over a little bout of gill fungus. As of tonight, her gills are clean but still irritated. We made a Holtfreter's solution and added it in today when I did a 50% water change. We haven't had any ammonia spikes since her tank cycle was crashed but her nitrites are up, they're not at .25ppm, they're distinctly not that dark purple but they're not blue, which means 0. My dad says it's more like .15ppm. Her nitrates are at 20ppm, and her ammonia was around .25ppm. I added some Seachem prime to deal with them, according to the gallon in her tank.

Question, I'm thinking I should do another water change either tomorrow or Wednesday, should I add any Holtfreter's solution when I do that or should I wait till I do my 50% water change. I only plan on taking out 3 gallons of her like, 18 gallons. Or should I just do more 50% water changes until her tank is fully cycled? I have a chart made up, her cycle was crashed and reset on August 30th, 2020, and by my and my friend's calculations, she should have a full cycled tank by September 29th, 2020. Is that enough time? She's been swimming around a lot, clearly irritated but I don't think I should tub her, I just don't want to stress her even more by trying to catch her. I didn't want to do a salt bath because of how invasive it is, but it seems like it might be a moot point since she's getting over her fungus issues.

She's eating and reacting to stimuli, just is irritated. Does that have more to do with the fungus being dealt with, the higher than she's used to nitrites, or the introduction of the Holtfreter's solution? Her tank is cool, about at 62 degrees. I've attached photos of her from like 2 days ago when her gills had a bunch of fungus, it's hard to tell because of her positioning but now her gills are clear, just a little inflamed since she got the patch off and didn't lose many gill filaments. She had a minor case of gill fungus in June while I was in the hospital, came home to deal with it and it just went away after a water change. That was when we had a huge heatwave and by the time I got home from the hospital her tank was at like 74 degrees.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. I'm tired and stressing over her well being, I'm keeping a close eye on her tank and its water quality but it's taking a toll on me.

Attachments

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What concentration of holtfreters are you using?
Generally you replace for what ever value of water you actually remove versus add - evaporation gives a false read and can cause you to overdose solutions as the solution nvere evaporates just concentrates and dilutes unless physically removed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
    AnimeDan: Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as... +1