Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Use of Holtfreter's Solution

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Hey gang, my axolotl is just getting over a little bout of gill fungus. As of tonight, her gills are clean but still irritated. We made a Holtfreter's solution and added it in today when I did a 50% water change. We haven't had any ammonia spikes since her tank cycle was crashed but her nitrites are up, they're not at .25ppm, they're distinctly not that dark purple but they're not blue, which means 0. My dad says it's more like .15ppm. Her nitrates are at 20ppm, and her ammonia was around .25ppm. I added some Seachem prime to deal with them, according to the gallon in her tank.

Question, I'm thinking I should do another water change either tomorrow or Wednesday, should I add any Holtfreter's solution when I do that or should I wait till I do my 50% water change. I only plan on taking out 3 gallons of her like, 18 gallons. Or should I just do more 50% water changes until her tank is fully cycled? I have a chart made up, her cycle was crashed and reset on August 30th, 2020, and by my and my friend's calculations, she should have a full cycled tank by September 29th, 2020. Is that enough time? She's been swimming around a lot, clearly irritated but I don't think I should tub her, I just don't want to stress her even more by trying to catch her. I didn't want to do a salt bath because of how invasive it is, but it seems like it might be a moot point since she's getting over her fungus issues.

She's eating and reacting to stimuli, just is irritated. Does that have more to do with the fungus being dealt with, the higher than she's used to nitrites, or the introduction of the Holtfreter's solution? Her tank is cool, about at 62 degrees. I've attached photos of her from like 2 days ago when her gills had a bunch of fungus, it's hard to tell because of her positioning but now her gills are clear, just a little inflamed since she got the patch off and didn't lose many gill filaments. She had a minor case of gill fungus in June while I was in the hospital, came home to deal with it and it just went away after a water change. That was when we had a huge heatwave and by the time I got home from the hospital her tank was at like 74 degrees.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think. I'm tired and stressing over her well being, I'm keeping a close eye on her tank and its water quality but it's taking a toll on me.

Attachments

• sickdarwin1.jpg
    sickdarwin1.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 202
  • sickdarwin2.jpg
    sickdarwin2.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 165

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
What concentration of holtfreters are you using?
Generally you replace for what ever value of water you actually remove versus add - evaporation gives a false read and can cause you to overdose solutions as the solution nvere evaporates just concentrates and dilutes unless physically removed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1