Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vac 08

blckkeys

Reaction score
So back in early June my girlfriend and I went on vacation in Florida with her family. We drove down separate, and on the way down we stopped at a mountain destination in Tennessee. The weather was a little warm, mid 80's, but still nice. There had been a few thunder storms the night before on the drive down. (Ohio to Tennessee). The day looked promising though. We started hiking along a nice trail and every now and then we came across a small little seep. It was nice, because at every little seep we hit the temperature dropped to the 60's. And at every little seep we found a few nice little friends. Some how it worked out that every time we were feeling the effects of being very out of shape, a seep would appear. They made good excuses for having to take a minute to take some pictures (and catch our breath).

pics 018.jpg pics 031.jpg pics 038.jpg

Then we came across a nice waterfall. And this is where I decided to propose to my girlfriend. Fortunately she said yes!!! It would have been a fairly awkward vacation if she had declined.

pics 115.jpg pics 128.jpg

Once we got to the beach in Florida the next day we told her family. And there was rejoicing.

Then the following day on vacation, I got up early and found this little guy guarding our porch.

pics 252.jpg

The weather was fairly hot. (90's) And there were storm clouds pretty much every morning. One of the mornings while sitting around the breakfast table, we looked out the window and saw a water spout.

pics 019.jpg

I have seen water spouts before up at Lake Erie, but it was still pretty darn cool to see this one.

We also saw numerous dolphins on our trip as well. We saw atleast 12-15 a day. They would come fairly close to shore. One day we were swimming and few dolphins were only 40-50 feet away. That was pretty darn cool as well.

pics 321.jpg

All in all, I think it was a good vacation. Got to do a little herping, got engaged, saw water spouts, and dolphins.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That's my kind of vacation! Can you call my boyfriend and give him some pointers? lol.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, salamanders, beach and romance, all in one vacation. Can't beat that!

blckkeys

Reaction score
I did not have enough room to post these to pics earlier. So here they are.

pics 098.jpg pics 102.jpg

It was so nice where we were hiking, all of the salamanders are exactly how we found them. Just out in the open. I don't think I flipped a single log or rock. It did turn out to be a great week. We are going to the Outer Banks in North Carolina in September. Last time we were there we went kayaking on this one river where they re-introduced alligators. We got to see one briefly. Hopefully we will see some more this year, along with some more neat stuff.

Ciddian

Reaction score
congrats on the engagement!!! looked like a wonderful trip :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1