Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Waxworms

M

mark

Just wondering
bowl.gif
, how do keepers feed waxworms to their frogs/toads?
Do you just put them in the tank or offer them with tweezers?

M

mark

Another question i just thought of is,would woodlice/pill bugs be ok to feed to small frogs+toads?

han

Reaction score
Not very nutritious, waxworms, and their skin is hard to digest. I would suggest earthworms, excellent food when you're able to catch 'm yourself. I offer the worms on a tankcentre feedingplatform just above waterlevel: just drop the worm; it'll be caught long before it can crawl off.
I try to feed woodlice every year to the toadlets
i'm breeding; not very succefull due to their rather static behaviour; moving food is far more attractive, i.e. drosophila. And they often seem to be distastefull, depending on the plants they live on.

Han.

R

rob

Hi Han,

I think you have waxworms confused with mealworms. Waxworms are one of the most nutritionally complete feeder items BUT have an extremely high fat content, so can lead to obesity. They also have a soft outer body (since they're a moth larva) and most animals take to them quite readily.

When I feed waxworms and the like to my animals, some of them I drop in front of them and they take it, others I offer from tweezers and they grab them up. Depends on the animal and its personality really.

E

elisabeth

Rob, that's exactally what I was gonna say.
One thing though...
Waxworms are kinda chewy, and some animals may take a while to eat them. I cut mine in half to make it easier on my newts.

P

paul

Hi all,
just to echo the last posts,wax worms are an excellant source of protiens and vits,but are fatty.I feed my salamanders/toads wax worms every fourth feed or so ,as part of a diet made up of black and brown crickets,earthworms(thanks to the excellant dietry advice of Mike East)and the occasional pinkie.

I generally leave the waxworms in a shallow tray to avoid ingestion of substrate.

M

mark

Hi all,
Thanks for the responces,the reason i asked is im thinking about getting some Fire-Bellied toads(Bombina Orientalis).
Do you think this species is a good one for a newbie to frogs+toads?

P

paul

Hi Mark ,

I have kept Bombina orientalis,Bombina bombina and Bombina variegata. I have found all to be very hardy and interesting captives.I found they are best kept in communal groups suited to the size of your particular tank.I kept mine in a 70 /30 % tank (30 %land).The water section was heavily planted with aquatic plants (in small pots)with a graval base.A small fluval filter was in place. The water was not heated,and the tank was in a cool room ( for houseing salamanders).I rarely saw the toads on land,they prefered to lay on the heavy plant growth on the waters surface.( i recommend a reasonable UV tube to aid plant growth)
I mixed species, and this did not seem to present a problem (I dont know if the two European species naturally interbreed in their range)
I fed mainly vit loaded crickets,waxworms and woodlice.
They call quite often,this is cute at first but can be irritating if you get it through your favorite episode of Bargin Hunt or supermarket sweep.

Hope this is of some use.( I was joking about bargin hunt /super market sweep,honest)

Cheers Paul

M

mark

Thanks Paul, thats a lot of help.
Is the small fluval filter you use a fluval 1?
What size tank do you recommend for a pair?

M

mark

Also,
Have you got any pictures of your toads and there setup?
How deep is your water level?
Can anyone give me names of plants i can use on land?

(Message edited by Mark_uk on November 13, 2003)

P

paul

Mark,

As I said,I no longer keep bombina,(lack of space ,rather than lack of interest )The water depth was approx five inches,it was a Fluval 1.As for tank size,asalways as big as you can.I did not have plants on the land section,only wild collected moss.I would think ivy,or ferns would do ok.Iwould endevour twohousemore than twoif you can,they are very social and easy (relatively) breeders.

Cheers paul

han

Reaction score
Mark

Artificial plants (silk ivy) hanging in a thick layer against the backgroundscreen provide a lot of great junglelike hidingspots very much appreciated by the toads: looks good, easy to clean (once a year).
The "landpart" in my bombinarium (20%) consists
of bricks and woodlogs.
Bombina needs a lot of light to flourish and appreciates a weak baskingspot and a lot of ventilation very much. Watertemperature 20-23C.
A cool winterperiod of some 3 months (10 - 15C.)together with shortened days (8 hours)will trigger reproduction in spring.
The menu of my toads consists almost entirely of earthworms (also moths, slugs and occaisional flies and spiders).
With good care Bombina can grow old. I take care of the same animals already for over 17 years now.

Han

P

paul

Han,

Extremely impressive to have kept the same bombina for 17 years.A real labour of love,good on yer mate.
I wish you every success for the future.All this talk of bombina is making me want to get some again,but I think limited space ,a growing salamander collection and a new wife means I will stick to my Marine,Roccoco,crested,smooth sided and pygmy toads.

Regards Paul

han

Reaction score
Paul

After i lost a group of 8 Bombina due to some infection (without quarantine i, stupid, added a female, which destroyed the whole group within one month), i got the present group of 10 adult (some semi) toads in spring 1986, wildcaught, from Southern Manchuria, 7 females and 3 males.
They breed every year although i noticed the amount of (fertile) eggs diminishing over the last 5 years for some reason. Age?
Btw, you do have quite a collection of toads yourself. Any breedingresults?
As a toadaddict, do you have any experience concerning Melanophrinicus stelzneri. Just curiosity.

Han.

P

paul

Han,

Sorry to hear about your loss,It is always a risk introducing new blood stock.It is still a massive acheivemnt to keep a colony for so long.
I have kept bumblebee toads before.Very cute little fellahs.I had mine in a relatively small viv,with cushion moss over pea shingle,and piles of cork bark.They seemed to thrive on number2 black crickets.I swapped them for a nice Cramwelli.I have three,Iwould desperately like a cornuta (I have ornata) but they are hard to get in the uk.I alsohave Solomaon islands eyelash frogs,they are awsome,get some if you can.

Regards

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!