WC vs. CB Discussion

I'd be interested to hear which species of lizard this was. But we should in no way jump to conclusions about how salamanders fare upon release based on the behavior of a territorial, and probably strongly diurnal lizard. It's a very good point and worth consideration for sure, but these are very different animals.

OK, has anybody thought about breeding them so that people do not have to collect them? Would it not be worth collecting a few to breed them in captivity? Then nobody would have to collect them anymore.

OK, has anybody thought about breeding them so that people do not have to collect them? Would it not be worth collecting a few to breed them in captivity? Then nobody would have to collect them anymore.
I don't know what world you live in, but please tell me how to get there, because the world the rest of us live in doesn't work like that, sadly.

Well of course it wouldn't eliminate it, but at least there would be an alternative.

There are plenty of hobbyists captive breeding newts, but there are several reasons why that doesn't stop wild collection. Firstly, it's very cheap to wild collect newts and the resultant profit versus cost ratio is far higher than it would be to buy the newts from captive breeders. Another problem is that there isn't enough captive breeding to satisfy the demands of wholesalers.

Another problem, sadly, is that some people simply don´t care at all...

I REALLY HATE people like that. They destroy something just because they can overpower it and can earn money off of it. It's sickens me to know that there are people out there like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back