Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

We have one T.shanjing larva who doesn't want to morph

dutch guy

Reaction score
a103baf8aa463b01b282d1de87ac1f04.jpg

0a994386ef6aa0077c133517846814bd.jpg

This larva is in the Large tank with the parents and some other larvae who are a lot smaller. The test of the badge is already morphed, we have 26 of them.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have some huge T. verrucosus that haven't morphed yet. They're about a year old and have some adult characteristics as well as large gills. I think if conditions are favourable in the water, they seem to prolong their larval stage to make the most of it.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Once the larvae have started to show shanjing colouration and are half grown have you tried doubling the water depth and increasing the oxygen to see if more animals remain neotenic?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I forgot to say mine are in very deep water, knowing it won't dry up any time soon could also be a factor in them taking their time?

dutch guy

Reaction score
Its one of the larvae in the parents tank, there is already a flow in the water
because a Small Electric filter runs in it, its gills are shrinking now, so i think it will metamorphing soon.
The water is in this tank aprox 10 cm, its the onelyone the rest is morphing normaly.

Tylototriton Shanjing 3,5,19

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Yes it's a big factor with Verrucosus for sure I experimented quite a bit with them with deep water and different temperatures

dutch guy

Reaction score
I have noticed that when there are onely a few larvae left, they take there time to morph, so lowering the water level wil Help some times.

Tylototriton Shanjing 3,5,19

Jort

Reaction score
I've had this with verrucosus once. It was the last one in the water, so het had the tanks for himself, and the temperatures were already getting colder. When he morphed he was bigger than all other siblings.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had this with verrucosus once. It was the last one in the water, so het had the tanks for himself, and the temperatures were already getting colder. When he morphed he was bigger than all other siblings.

Yeah, the lack of competition for the available food seems to be another factor in the equation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!