What is the best food?

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I would like to ask all those who have cultures of worms with which food are more successful? I read that if you give them milk powder in a week double their number, is this true?

Thanks

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan
I feed my whiteworms a slice of bread once every week or so. This can be augmented with other things like oatmeal, and it seems to work fairly well. I too am curious as to whether or not there is a better method...

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AJ
I feed my whiteworms primarly tortoise chow. I used to feed them bread but they grew faster on the tortoise chow so now I dont. I also supplement it with oatmeal, koi pellets, bloodworms, etc.

Liorah

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wow :shocked: I would love to know if the milk powder thing is true!! I've recently started culturing worms for Eve, and am hoping to be able to sell some in the future. I've just kind of been making it up as I go so far though X]

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Justin
I've used bread mainly in the past but have now swtiched to dry dog food (thanks to Bill;)). The culture is growing like a weed!

I've started a second culture 2 days ago using a commercial cricket diet to see if that will make a difference as well.

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Thanks for your answers! ;) I have already hinted that the most common being the dog food or cat, but as I had none of that around here gotta give them the bread dipped in milk, and now there's something a few minutes supply them with a tablespoon of milk powder sprinkled with water! In a week I can confirm that the culure doubled in fact or not.:cool:

cheers

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
Thanks to a friend I started using dry dog food, Friskies and Pedigree some sort. I let in water for 24h switching the water 5 to 6 times. After putting them there and a stone in the top i can see "thousands" of them grabbed in the food:D It´s really the best! And I´ve noticed that some collembola that were there in very small numbers started to grow very fast! And their population is even bigger than in my own Collembola culture!!:eek: So I joined all in one since in the enchytraeus culture, things go really much faster!
I can see many round white things maybe with 1 mm in diameter. Really don't know what could be. Who made it? Enchytreaus or Collembola?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm still crushing up dog food with a hammer, my worm culture loves it. It worked alot better than just bread. I was moistening bread with milk when I used bread in the past. I thought it might add some Vit D and calcium.I'm always trying to gut load my feeder items. I'm going to start soaking the dried dog food in just enough low fat milk to soften it.. thanks GWH for the name drop :D

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I mostly use wheat bread and other leftovers, but I put some dried cat food in a couple of my cultures today (I have no dog) after reading people's answers here to see what that'll do. Last week I couldn't buy bread (too lazy) so I tried some Cheerios I got at the gas station, but I wasn't impressed with the results.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Daniel
I use dried dog food, too, and had some very good results with it.
I just put one of those "pellets" or rings beneath some wood and sprinkle it with water.

The dog food already contains some vitamins and minerals so I hope that this is some kind of gut loading.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried cheerios once cause I was also to lazy to go to the store also. LOL I was not impressed either.

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi people
on Friday, when put in soil that had prepared only with bread crumbs do not let them see with the small glass placed over the soil. Yesterday I added milk powder and there is instant, when I observed, were quite bonded to the glass and more than half of the powder has disappeared. It seems indeed, at least for now, to be working! :cool:

stitchpunk

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Interesting! I have dried catfood so I might give that a try too. My culture is barely alive after a couple of weeks of bread. I had a look yesterday and could only find half a dozen worms even though I haven't taken any out for a week. Not sure what I'm doing wrong - I have them in moistened sterilised garden soil in a plastic container with holes in the lid. Mind you, its pretty warm here and the daphnia are struggling, so maybe its too warm for the white worms as well?

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Yes they do not get along with heat is a fact, here in Portugal have spoken with people who grow them for some time and say that in the summer if they lose enough, but the whole culture! Now there's one thing the milk powder should be added to other foods and not given food only as unique!

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Daniel
White worms should best be kept at a temperature range from 18-24 °C, best around 18 °C. They stop reproducing below 13 °C but I couldn't find any upper limit. And they should be kept in a dark place. I have my culture in the cellar.

stitchpunk

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Ah, thank you! I had their container sitting next to the tank so they were probably getting too much light. I'll move it somewhere darker.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I should add that my culture is in a plastic shoe box. There is 2 inches of garden soil on the bottom. I keep a peice of cardboard cut to size on top. I also feed them 2 table spoons a dog food every 5 days or so. Really its whenever I'm digging for them and I see t he food is gone. I dig a 8 inch long trench down the middle. I sprinkle the food in there and cover it with soil. Then I give it a good spraying with water. They seem to like it on the wet side but not enough water that they are sitting in it. I only water them once a week. Unless I see it getting real dry on the surface. I also never cover them. Keeps the mold down and I never seen them crawl out so it really dosen't matter. How is everyone else keeping their culture?

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nathan
I keep mine similar to Bill's- Tupperware container, few inches of soil/coco-fiber, misted (when I get to it), usually pretty damp. I keep it in my cellar, in the darkest room where it generally stays in the 50's or lower F most of the year.

I've been bad and really neglected mine, due to not really needing the white-worms recently. They may have all died off, but I tried the dried cat food dampened with milk yesterday. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
A moment after coming peek at this thread reminded me of going to see my culture! I am simply amazed, you see them in droves pasted on the glass and milk powder have almost all disappeared. :D In fact is giving the same result in about 2 days back to give them more if they continue to lead I will go only to give them that. ;) Just curious dog food and cat give them that is canned or biscuits?
Thank you all!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • nerdybirds73:
    im going to keep tubbing her but i still have no clue what went wrong
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    her condition keeps getting better and worse its like a roller coaster. I changed the water and am still monitoring her but im not sure what else to do becuase she wont eat and i really dont want her to die.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Hi Nerdybirds - open a thread, that usually gets more views and also allows you to post pictures and give more background information: water parameters, age, etc.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    My axolotl can you all take a look at that thread, I am freaked out about my axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    His gills seem kinda small, I don't think that's normal but I'm not a huge expert on axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Yeah his gills is kinda small and it can be caused by nitrate level, I am taking care of it atm, I am worried about his weight, is he only overfed or are there any kinds of problems there ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Well, again, I'm no expert. But I did just read axolotls are supposed to have a body about as wide as their head. The gills I'd say are the biggest problem, which could reduce oxygen intake, which could make a whole mess of problems.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Roadrunner:
    Thanks for the help then, I will deal with his gills in no time
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Bri the axolotl mom has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    Any one have advice on feeding a tubbed axolotl?
    +1
    Unlike
  • nerdybirds73:
    mine hasent eaten in weeks and im not sure what to do
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hello, I am a new owner of a 3 month old axolotl, and although I have done a lot of research on axolotls, I can barely find any for babies. If anyone can help me with these questions, I would be super happy. How many hours do baby axolotls tend to sleep per day? How many times should I feed it and what would be considered too much (it's current diet is freeze-dried brine shrimp and blood worms, and I currently feed it around 3 bloodworms since they are not that big)? How many times a week should I change the water and how? I have a good filter and use Prime as my conditioner to remove the chlorine and other chemicals, but I still need to figure out how to deal with ammonia and such in the water. How do I clean it's waste (should I use a dropper to easily pick it up)? I need a better cooling system because currently I use ice packs on the side of the tank and I make sure to angle my ac so that it hits the tank.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    I also leave the lid open during the day so that evaporation can cool down my tank. I want to buy a fan, but since winter is coming I won't have to buy one yet. Lastly, what water testers are effective and affordable for a broke student like myself? Please, if anyone has any advice I will love to hear it. I care for this creature too much at this point, but I have no one to help me with caring for it other than the internet :,)
    +1
    Unlike
  • EmilyP:
    Hi LauraLobster I am a new owner of axolotls myself and have been getting advice from things like this, I feed mine twice a day on blackworms and brine shrimp blood worms are more of a treat food, a question on where you are keeping you axolotl are you keeping it in the main tank or in a tub also if in the tank did you cycle it first? and if not i suggest tubing it until the tank it cycled, mine are still tubed since I was given bad advice by the shop people about cycling my tank and am still in the process of cycling it. I use pipettes to clean up the mess of my axolotls. I use the API mater test kit for freshwater tanks I am also a student and had to look around to find it the cheapest I could.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi LauraLobster, like you I got my first ever Axolotl back in July. Iv found that he has enjoyed and eaten red wigglers well. They are a good source of protein and help provide the nutrients a young lotl needs to grow up big and strong. You will probably need to break it up into smaller pieces until they get bigger but they are what I have primarily fed my buddy since I got him. He’s actually so picky that he won’t even eat his pellets anymore and will hold out till he gets his favorite wormy.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat nea
    +1
    Unlike
  • Readysalted:
    Hi I would like to know how you treat newt inflamtion I've got one and recently it's started to develop an inflammation on its throat can someone please tell me how you treat this I've also checked if he had something stuck but I didn't se anything
    +1
    Unlike
  • Cjbond:
    Anyone have any Notophthalmus viridescens for purchase to a loving home?
    +2
    Unlike
  • Grantsky:
    Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this as I am new to the site, b
    +1
    Unlike
  • ltoloxa-:
    Hey, can anyone recommend a good fan/cooler in UK?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nycolebayne:
    I’ve got proven female axolotls available if anyone is interested.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if shale is ok for long-toed salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    As long as its cleaned yeah! You can even make overhangs if you have enough pieces to make nice caves and platforms
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks!
    +1
    Unlike
    Mark.H: Ok, thanks! +1