Votes: 70 30.3%

• Total voters

Opacum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Carlo
When I kept my sallys, I used a screen top with glass panes and had my fluorescent light to one side unblocked by the glass. I also had a bubbling water dish within the aquarium and a hygrometer/thermometer to check temp and humidity. I would usually mist in the AM and give the tank time to evaporate that. I would add or remove the glass depending on the heat of my room. Seemed to work out fine. ;) I definitely like the 'open top' approach.

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have Salamandra spp. now, but I had some in the past. I used a 2-part wood-frame wire mesh lid for my 100 X 50 cm tank. On either side of each half, I glued on wooden sliding rails into which I could slide a glass pane (custom-made from the glaser). I could cover up the whole lid or slide the glass over part way to leave slits open, as needed. Of course, you could simply lay the glass pane on top of the frame.

troutnerd

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
GE
Screens..or open,depending on species. But my basement is cool and on the moist side.

rethgar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Gareth
Mine are in a tank which is essentially a glass cube with sliding doors on the front, There are two vents in the back to for cooling (I can use a fan blowing through them) it keeps the humidity to a nice level.
Wasn't sure if that was glass aquarium lid to or other as it doesn't actually have a lid so I went 'other'

heavysleaze

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Christopher
What would you all say is the most desirable humidity level for this species? I use a screen top and my humidity gauge is on the inside of the tank wall. I mist frequently because I feel I am losing moisture with the screen top. According to the digital gauge I am getting a 48-50% humidity range. I would assume the humidity level is higher in the soil as it stays moist but this seems low to me. Temp stays around 67 degrees. Both salamanders are very active. Thoughts? Should I incorporate a piece of glass into the mix to keep the humidity higher?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
I´d say the humidity level is not that important if you are misting regularly. If humidity gets too low, they´ll just burrow under some cover (since it will indeed provide more humidity) and become active once you mist again. The real fear is air stagnation. They can deal with variations in humidity but they don´t do well with constant high humidity and insufficient aeration. In such conditions, they are prone to skin problems, like infections.
I would keep the mesh lid to provide excellent ventilation and continue to do regular mistings (preferably at dusk).

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am using a screen lid due to the security for the animal both from escaping and from outside animals ( AKA my cat ) getting into the tank and injuring the animal. However I did not want a solid lid due to the lack of ventilation keeping temperatures higher.

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Well, I would have voted for both plastic lid with holes drilled in it and screen lid. The setup they are in right now have plastic lids with holes drilled in them, but the vivaria they are going in soon will have mesh lid. I would definitely prefer the mesh though.

dannyyyallenn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Daniel Allen
It honestly depends.
If you are keeping a salamander in aquarium there are basically two lid options: screen and standard tank lid. The tank lid probably comes with a lighting system so it boils down to the environment you want to create. Screen lids are good for allowing good aeration and evaporation in the tank, giving it a cooler temp. The tank lid with a light may raise the temperature(unless u use an LED light) but is ideal for lots of vegetation. If both are flush against the tank lip, however, they both should consistently keep the salamander from escaping. I personally like screen lids better because they allow a top view, aeration and cooling, and still allow for a light like natural sunlight or a lamp to shine through.They are also lighter and easier to deal with. Hope that helps.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Country
England
I've been thinking a bit about this one. For me, it depends. It depends on what I'm trying to achieve.
A maintenance enclosure outside, used for adults, might be open topped to allow air to circulate and to prevent the likelihood of mould (due to for example uneaten segments of worms etc). Stick your nose in....is the air stale? That's a big no no. I also believe a bit of sunshine helps keep micro organisms at bay (I'm thinking uv). It also keeps the humidity and temperature similar to the outside surroundings which is important when I'm priming adults for next year's breeding.
Enclosure siting is important too. None are placed in deep and prolonged shade or full and prolonged sunlight.
Come the winter though, then a wooden lid is placed over them on cold days to take the bite out of sharp frosts. I am also conscious of excess rain and wafer logging. Allowances are made for drainage but on particularly prolonged periods of rain then a polycarbonate lid is put over.
Growing on youngsters have a similar set up but I never leave the enclosure uncovered. I've seen birds flicking through the leaf litter in the enclosures and won't run the risk of losing any youngsters. I also find that these youngsters are more agile than the adults and maybe could escape by crawling up the walls. A wet belly certainly helps them stick to the sides. Yes, all enclosures do have over hangs but I won't take the risk.
Enclosures inside are nearly always covered. This might be with a glass sheet with a 1 or 2 mm screen (size to prevent 2+ instar crickets from escaping) on one end only. This ensures a humidity gradient (I've used a hygrometer). Obviously the type of substrate and positioning of a water container have a big influence here and this is where knowledge of the subspecies' habitat comes in and what you're trying to achieve. These indoor enclosures are really for my yearlings which I want fully active and feeding.
There are times I will mist the enclosure to increase humidity and water dropletsavailability for the animals and will leave the screwing covered for an hour or so. Other times I will remove the glass plate to allow a certain amount of drying.
For me, it seems to be working but I'm always conscious that I have much to learn and my system will evolve accordingly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sal22:
    Update about my axie, unfortunately he has died over night, he looked as if he was bruised allover his belly, his mucus layer had also started to come off.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    Anyone here from DMV?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Hi I have 2 4in juveniles (I’ve had them about 2 weeks and they are doing well I think they’ve grown a little already honestly) but I am supposed to go on a 5-6 day vacation in October about 3-4 months from now. I am wondering how I should go about their care when I am gone. I thought about putting them in separate (fairly big) containers with live plants and/or bubblers with a fan in the dark and either fridging them (my last plan) but I am hoping to to either have someone I trust come feed them and turkey baste waste out or just leave them out and clean the containers before we leave and have someone come check on them once or twice. Does any of this sound like a good or bad idea? I want the best for them. All help appreciated :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Ganaa:
    @patrickstar116, do you still have your fire salamanders?
    +1
    Unlike
  • patrickstar116:
    @Ganaa, I do you may message me if you wish
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    hi.....
    +1
    Unlike
  • JDeslippe21:
    Hi, so I have 2 male axolotls and about an hour ago they were both perfectly fine and now only one of them has his tail curling up and his gills are slightly curled?? But other than that they’re both acting normally
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Could be he's just excited, spooked or temporarily stressed, which could pass in a few hours. It could also be an indicator of other problems. Do you have any recent water parameters?
    +1
    Unlike
  • AlexisJG:
    Does anyone have any idea how to help with high ammonia levels? I have the API freshwater master kit and everything else’s test results were great besides ammonia. I did a 50% water change and I use API products including ammonia lock.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Help! I got my first axolotl two days ago and they have stopped eating. They ate a few frozen blood worms the first day and haven’t eaten or been interested in food since. I feed them frozen blood worms and the tank is around 64 degrees. I do have a filter that moves sometimes and I noticed them swimming up to it, I have a new filter and a fan coming today or tomorrow. I leave the worms in the tank or a little bit before taking them out so I don’t know if they ate when I wasn’t looking. I know it takes a while for them to digest. Does anyone have any tips or knowledge they can share? The pet store I bought them from didn’t have gravel or sand in the tank so I’m not sure if theres an issue or if I’m just impatient. Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu, how big they are? also for substrate, i would not do gravel at all I would either do sand or none at all!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    They are about 2-3 inches long and I have them in a bare bottom tank
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu I would say try live black/blood worms untell they are full or just turn there head away ( that's what mine do) if that does not work try to get some live brine shrimp and see if they eat that. baby axolotl prefer live food over frozen food as the frozen food is too cold for them or they can't eat it in one go( that's if you do the blocks) mine eat chopped up frozen thawed shrimp. as for them not eating from what I have experienced with my second axolotl, I got her when she was about an inch long and she ate every day, when they start getting 3-4 inches long they will gradually slow down there eating. and if you really want to do substrate I would do sand because if they do ingest a little bit it won't hurt them.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MuggleMiChu:
    Thank you so much for the information and advice! They are eating again, they ate a lot today. I think it might have been stress from the move or digesting old food, I also noticed they ate some of the food left in the tank (I removed the rest). I’m going to keep the tank bare bottom.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MuggleMiChu,your so welcome im glad to be of help! and I'm glad that they are eating as well!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AidanD has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MotherofAxolotls:
    Does anybody know where I can find a Starburst Wild type axolotl??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alice28:
    Good morning everyone.
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    morning!
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MotherofAxolotls, i have like 3 but they aren't for sale T-T
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MermaidMommy has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • MotherofAxolotls:
    @HalfDrunkToast is their a price that could change your mind? 🙂
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @MotherofAxolotls, no sorry :( but if i do come across another one i can msg you.
    +1
    Unlike
    HalfDrunkToast: @MotherofAxolotls, no sorry :( but if i do come across another one i can msg you. +1