Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What Species of Fire Belly Is This?

kwarzym

Reaction score
I got a few Fire Bellied newts that I originally assumed were some type of Japanese Fire Belly Newt, but one of them has developed a crest (albeit a small one, and is definitely trying to breed with the others) which I didn't think Japanese Fire Belly newts got. I have attached a few pictures. His tail has also turned bluish (which was less surprising)

Attachments

• PXL_20211120_190830204.jpg
    PXL_20211120_190830204.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,411
  • PXL_20211120_171155957.jpg
    PXL_20211120_171155957.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 217
  • PXL_20211120_021745850.jpg
    PXL_20211120_021745850.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 217

JM29

Reaction score
Definitively Triturus sp. (T. carnifex or T. cristatus).
The throat is too dark for a karelini and a dobrogicus would have been more slender.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I got a few Fire Bellied newts that I originally assumed were some type of Japanese Fire Belly Newt, but one of them has developed a crest (albeit a small one, and is definitely trying to breed with the others) which I didn't think Japanese Fire Belly newts got. I have attached a few pictures. His tail has also turned bluish (which was less surprising)
My guess is Triturus dobrogicus. The second picture looks a lot like a dobrogicus.

kwarzym

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I think you are all correct that this is some variety of Tritorus.
@peteyusef - Yep, it was a random find at a Reptile expo in Colorado Springs early this Summer, from a breeder/store from Texas.

peteyusef

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I think you are all correct that this is some variety of Tritorus.
@peteyusef - Yep, it was a random find at a Reptile expo in Colorado Springs early this Summer, from a breeder/store from Texas.
Yeah that was the one i saw them at sorry that happened to you

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Every year more newts are called by the common name "fire belly". That is why it is good to know the Genus and species.

kwarzym

Reaction score
Every year more newts are called by the common name "fire belly". That is why it is good to know the Genus and species.
Agreed. They were an unexpected find, I have been passively looking for a while to add to my dwindling numbers of Cynops Orientalis from over a decade ago. They were juveniles that looked like some variety of Japanese Fire Belly for the first few months, but over time I became more and more suspicious.

I'm a little annoyed, but they are still fun.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1