When will it happen again??

M

mary

Hi there, how often do these amorous young axies breed??
i hate to think of having to separate them- they are such pals- well they seem to be!

They can breed almost continuously. Try just putting in a divider if they start breeding again.

LOL...
biggrin.gif
(teenagers these days!)
In captivity most caudates will start breeding behavior after one year. I have bred axolotls after they were a year old. It all depends on their environment and food availability.

Well, from their view: there's lots of food, the water's clean, and there's plenty of shelter, so they can breed like crazy.

But this means you're doing a good job at taking care of them. A lot of animals won't breed unless conditions are optimal. That means you're a good axie mum.

the prob is that their tank is in our kitchen so every night at tea time they are watching me get dinner ready! i swear they can smell the food cooking- so they get little treats of whatever raw meat may be on the go....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back