Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which DSLR do you recommend?

dad of axle

Reaction score
I just bought a 55-250 Canon Lens kit with IS and am hoping that it will be useful for photographing my gold fish and axolotl. I already have an 18-55 kit and am still learning the ropes of my new Canon EOS 600D

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend a telephoto zoom lens for photographing small animals. The focal distance will be quite long - in your case around 1 meter or perhaps much greater at larger zooms. Macro lenses give you much shorter focal distances, around 10cm, which allows you to get close to the subject and fill the frame. When I had a camera similar to yours I went for the EF-S 60mm macro and was very pleased with it. A 55-250 lens will be great for shooting birds and distance wildlife and the 55mm end of the range will give you nice wide shots for general photography. Certainly a good addition to your photo kit. I sometimes wish I had a decent telephoto zoom lens and have often considered the Sigma 150-500mm, but whenever I get to the shop I see the size of it and reconsider!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!