Wild pennywort?

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Daniel
After reading multiple threads about wild plants, I realized that I had quite a bit of what I'm fairly certain is pennywort in my yard. I brought a large clump inside, rinsed off most of the dirt and burrs stuck to it, swirled it around in saltwater for a minute or so, rinsed it a second time, and added to the tank.
image.jpg
My questions are:
Is this actually pennywort, or another member of the hydrocotyle family? Does it require much light? Could any remaining dirt or debris on the plant harm the newts?

Thanks!

All I know is if it was collected from terrestrial location, then its not going to grow submerged (as I see it in your tank).

This isn't on-topic, but has anyone ever had an orientalis seem to try to bite or attack the glass? One of my females was doing so for a few minutes. Just gaping and pushing up against the wall. It's a bit disconcerting... Is it a sign of illness?
image.jpg
This is a bad shot, sorry.

Your newt probably just wants to be fed. Mine do this all the time.

As far as the pennywort, it's probably a related plant called dollar weed. I took some of this from outside and it grows well in my tanks partially submerged. Here's a picture:

image.jpg

Edit: I looked more closely at your pic and that's not dollar weed, it's a type of violet, I think. Definitely not aquatic.

I'm certain it's not violet- it grows in flat sheets within an inch of the ground and the leaves are very smooth. That's a relief about the behavior though, thanks.
(Also, I live in central Texas and I've never seen any native violets.)

I suppose it could be- I'm not sure if I've ever seen it flowering. It doesn't look like many of the wild violet on google, but it fits that site's description.
image.jpg

Just wanted to post a quick follow-up. I left a few of the plants in a container next to the newt tank, where they were exposed to 8 hours of light a day. They're doing fine, and adapted well to aquatic life as long as roots were still attached. (I won't be using them in any tanks though.)

FYI I would rinse the pennywort in a 10% bleach solution prior to introducing it to amphibians. This should kill BD and most other undesirable pathogens. I had thought this practice was pretty much a consensus with amphibian-keepers nowadays, so just thought I might make a post, to re-affirm this is a best practice among amphibian keepers of the modern era. Thanks! JVK

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back