Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wild pennywort?

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
After reading multiple threads about wild plants, I realized that I had quite a bit of what I'm fairly certain is pennywort in my yard. I brought a large clump inside, rinsed off most of the dirt and burrs stuck to it, swirled it around in saltwater for a minute or so, rinsed it a second time, and added to the tank.
image.jpg
My questions are:
Is this actually pennywort, or another member of the hydrocotyle family? Does it require much light? Could any remaining dirt or debris on the plant harm the newts?

Thanks!

JoshBA

Reaction score
All I know is if it was collected from terrestrial location, then its not going to grow submerged (as I see it in your tank).

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
This isn't on-topic, but has anyone ever had an orientalis seem to try to bite or attack the glass? One of my females was doing so for a few minutes. Just gaping and pushing up against the wall. It's a bit disconcerting... Is it a sign of illness?
image.jpg
This is a bad shot, sorry.

slowfoot

Reaction score
Your newt probably just wants to be fed. Mine do this all the time.

As far as the pennywort, it's probably a related plant called dollar weed. I took some of this from outside and it grows well in my tanks partially submerged. Here's a picture:

image.jpg

Edit: I looked more closely at your pic and that's not dollar weed, it's a type of violet, I think. Definitely not aquatic.

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
I'm certain it's not violet- it grows in flat sheets within an inch of the ground and the leaves are very smooth. That's a relief about the behavior though, thanks.
(Also, I live in central Texas and I've never seen any native violets.)

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
I suppose it could be- I'm not sure if I've ever seen it flowering. It doesn't look like many of the wild violet on google, but it fits that site's description.
image.jpg

AfroNewtkeeper

Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick follow-up. I left a few of the plants in a container next to the newt tank, where they were exposed to 8 hours of light a day. They're doing fine, and adapted well to aquatic life as long as roots were still attached. (I won't be using them in any tanks though.)

jkooiman

Reaction score
FYI I would rinse the pennywort in a 10% bleach solution prior to introducing it to amphibians. This should kill BD and most other undesirable pathogens. I had thought this practice was pretty much a consensus with amphibian-keepers nowadays, so just thought I might make a post, to re-affirm this is a best practice among amphibian keepers of the modern era. Thanks! JVK

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1