Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will Cynops cyanurus breed with Cynops orientalis?

Aplestris

Reaction score
Hi
I know a person who keeps an orientalis and cyanarus together (both juvenile newts) without any problems although I wouldn't really recommend it.
I'm quite sure they can interbreed although I'm not sure if the offspring would be fertile (new to biology).
I do not think their toxins would be harmful to each other as they are closely related.

ntny

Reaction score
hi aplestris

thanks for advice. can you help to check if the hybrids managed to stay alive?

thanks

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a bad idea, apart from the usual reasons for not mixing or hybridizing different species, H. orientalis and H. cyanurus have different temperature requirements. H. orientalis especially, are very intolerant of warm water.

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
Hybrids are known to survive and be healthy in some species. Eg, A.mexicanum x A.andersoni or P.chineses x P.hongkongensis are known hybrids. I expect it is a high possibility that your two species will hybridise. I do not recommend keeping any two species together, in any circumstance.

ntny

Reaction score
ok roger.

Hybrids are known to survive and be healthy in some species. Eg, A.mexicanum x A.andersoni or P.chineses x P.hongkongensis are known hybrids. I expect it is a high possibility that your two species will hybridise. I do not recommend keeping any two species together, in any circumstance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!