Question: Will this cooling setup work?

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi all,

So I am wanting to breed my T. granulosa and to do that I need to have a cooling period.
It does not get cold enough in my tank, so I was thinking of this idea.

1. Have them in a Styrofoam cooler with some water ( probably about 2-3 inches )
2. have ice packs inside of the cooler but elevated where they couldn't touch/reach them. I think that this would cool the air and in result also the water.
3. (maybe) Have some ice packs outside of it as well.
4. Monitor the water temperature, I want it at about 34-38 F.
5. Leave them in there ( with constant monitoring ) for about two or three weeks.
6. Remove them and put them back in their normal tank whose water temp is usually around 54-58 F.
7. Cross my fingers.

Also, before all this I would make sure they are all fat and healthy, because I know they very well might not eat when its that cold.

Now the thing I am most concerned about is the Styrofoam. Foam ( he doesn't specify if the type matters ) is specifically listed in this thread as a not safe material. ( thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...enclosures.html?highlight=safe+tank+materials )
But is that really true? And if so, does that mean Styrofoam too?

Thanks!

-Seth

seems like a lot of work when you could just tuperware them into the refrig for a couple of months.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back