Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Will this cooling setup work?

sde

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am wanting to breed my T. granulosa and to do that I need to have a cooling period.
It does not get cold enough in my tank, so I was thinking of this idea.

1. Have them in a Styrofoam cooler with some water ( probably about 2-3 inches )
2. have ice packs inside of the cooler but elevated where they couldn't touch/reach them. I think that this would cool the air and in result also the water.
3. (maybe) Have some ice packs outside of it as well.
4. Monitor the water temperature, I want it at about 34-38 F.
5. Leave them in there ( with constant monitoring ) for about two or three weeks.
6. Remove them and put them back in their normal tank whose water temp is usually around 54-58 F.
7. Cross my fingers.

Also, before all this I would make sure they are all fat and healthy, because I know they very well might not eat when its that cold.

Now the thing I am most concerned about is the Styrofoam. Foam ( he doesn't specify if the type matters ) is specifically listed in this thread as a not safe material. ( thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...enclosures.html?highlight=safe+tank+materials )
But is that really true? And if so, does that mean Styrofoam too?

Thanks!

-Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1