Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

17 gallon Alpine newt tank.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the last few days I've been working on a new tank for my I. a apuanus juveniles. I wanted to give the plants some proper substrate to grow in, but also an area where I can feed the newts and easily clean up without disturbing the plants, so I split the tank 60/40 along its length with a divider that I decorated with bits of slate. This gives me a good amount of organic compost topped with play sand for the plants and a clear area with just sand at the front for feeding, although I might remove the sand from the front and leave it bare depending on how I get on with it.
I planted it with Hornwort, Rotala, Vallisnaria and Java ferns, they look a bit sorry for themselves at the moment, but hopefully they will fill out over the next few weeks and the tank will be as green as 'Castle pyrrho' next door.
I'm really pleased with the slate covered divider, if the tank was a bit bigger I think I would have decorated the back glass with them as well, but the tank isn't huge so I just bought a stick on background, that way I can maximise the amount of water in there.

Attachments

• SAM_4909.jpg
    SAM_4909.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,147
  • SAM_4942.jpg
    SAM_4942.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 811
  • SAM_4944.jpg
    SAM_4944.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 877
  • SAM_4967.jpg
    SAM_4967.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,304
  • SAM_4971.jpg
    SAM_4971.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,183
  • SAM_4970.jpg
    SAM_4970.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,359

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I was also thinking I would try something like this in my alpine tank, it's the perfect time as I have just put them into hibernation so have plenty of time to modify their tank.
Did you silicone the slate onto a glass divider?
Thanks,
Stuart

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I wish I'd done the same in the pyrrho's tank, now. Maybe I will if I ever have to tear it down.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aha, the dutch style. I used to have a couple of tanks with that divider design but ended up going with bare bottoms in all of my tanks xD It does work wonderfully for making stunning, yet practical tanks. Keep us updated of how it develops.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Will do. Is there a catch with this kind of set up, or do you just prefer the ease of cleaning in a bare bottom tank?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Pure unadulterated lazinness.
By the way, love the slate decoration, it reminds me of the stone walls that are typical of northern Spain's meadows and that instantly brings me images of newts and joy.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was the dry stone walls round here that gave me the idea, there's hundreds of miles of them up in the Peak district dividing up the pasture land.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was also thinking I would try something like this in my alpine tank, it's the perfect time as I have just put them into hibernation so have plenty of time to modify their tank.
Did you silicone the slate onto a glass divider?
Thanks,
Stuart

Yes, I used silicone for the slate and then to hold the divider in place.

sde

Reaction score
Great tank Chinadog! I too may ( probably will ) have to steal that idea from you ;) The only thing I would change ( just because I am lazy ) is to have the divided feeding area bare bottom, to allow for easier cleaning.

Well done. -Seth

Reaction score
I love the tank I would send you a like if I knew how to do one ! Just one question how do you filter it? Much respect KB

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cheers for the compliment! :) There's just an air driven sponge filter at the moment, the water and sponge were already cycled. Hopefully the plants will grow like crazy and do their bit for water quality as well.

I moved the newts in today, I'm not sure what the collective noun for baby Alpines is.
Maybe a Circus? :)

Attachments

• SAM_4993.jpg
    SAM_4993.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 541
  • SAM_4994.jpg
    SAM_4994.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 655
  • SAM_5003.jpg
    SAM_5003.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 691
  • SAM_4982.jpg
    SAM_4982.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 686

Stupot1610

Reaction score
They look really good. Nice and healthy! How many alpine newts have you got in your 'circus'? :lol:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great tank Chinadog! I too may ( probably will ) have to steal that idea from you ;) The only thing I would change ( just because I am lazy ) is to have the divided feeding area bare bottom, to allow for easier cleaning.

Well done. -Seth

Yep, the sand in the front is gone. The newts have always been given defrosted Brine shrimp with their worms and were struggling to find them all on the substrate, now it's gone they can go back to hoovering up anything they find down there without getting a mouth full of sand! :)

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Where did you get your glass divider from? I've had a look online and can't seem to find anything, maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing.

Stuart

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cut it myself, but you can get a piece of glass cut to size by a local glass/glazing company very cheaply, just make sure you use thick enough glass to support any substrate heaped up against it.The stuff I used was 6mm I think.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!